RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

10G Network

Poppapete

My latest PC build having a 10G nic, I bought a 10G card for my server and a 10G switch and set them up as per diagram. Both the PC and the server connections to the 10G switch show the 10G LED color but I cannot get 10G speeds.

Any thoughts!? I see I have the NICs wrongly labeled.  I do have the 10G NICs connected to the 10G switch.

10G server card is ASUS XG-C100C - Aquantia to match the aquantia in the PC.

Switch is a netgear XS505M

All 10G cables are Cat6A

10G Network.jpg

Edited by Poppapete

itGeeks

I have never messed around with 10G. Qwestions-

1) Is that a typo on your diagram? It looks like you have the 1G NICs going to the 10G switch and the 10G NICs going to the 1G switch. Never mind this question, I see it's a typo.

2) How are you testing the speed? If you could get a 4K file and do a file copy you should be seeing roughly 610MB/s is the best your going to get with that Asus card according to my resirch. The Intel the (gold standard) will get you around 825MB/s

3) What is the speed your seeing?

4) could your hard drives be the bottleneck? Check the read & write speeds of the drives in both systems, Your not going to go faster then that..

5) Are the drives SSD's or spinners?

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

2) I started with simple ping from the CMD.  I get no ping via the 10G

3) ditto

4-5) ditto - I only have 960 pros in the desktop and enterprise spinning drives in the file server

mattb75

What happens if you disconnect the server and the pc from the 24port 1G Switch - just leaving the 10G connections in place?

schoondoggy

Why do you have two network connections for each device? As stated above, I would drop the 1Gb connections.

If I remember correctly I got around 1100MB/s testing point to point. You need to setup ramdisk to test.

JackoUK

Another non-networking-expert offering tentative suggestions.

1. One problem at a time. I'd remove the 1G NIC's and try to copy a large video file from the SSD on the PC to the SSD on the server.

2. "Multiple NIC's in a Windows PC" would seem to me to qualify for a project under the boss' Looking for Creators idea. I suspect there are many forum members who would like information on this topic.

3. Researching - and documenting the results of your research - starting at (say) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/175767/how-multiple-adapters-on-the-same-network-are-expected-to-behave would seem to be essential.

4. Wild guess. use 2 subnet masks directing external traffic to the lesser NIC and high bandwidth local traffic to the greater NIC.

itGeeks

Correct and good points, I have seen where someone had two NICs plugged in on the same subnet and that caused problems. Great suggestions here and an interesting topic.

For a nice review comparing the Asus to the Intel X540T with benchmarks, Check it out

JackoUK
schoondoggy
Poppapete
16 hours ago, mattb75 said:

What happens if you disconnect the server and the pc from the 24port 1G Switch - just leaving the 10G connections in place?

If I remove the 1G nics from the setup I cannot ping the server over the 10G nics and I loose access to the world.