RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying different OS's

geek-accountant

I can't believe it is almost a month with no post in the Virtualization forum. Maybe it's just me and I am the only one this stuff is new too. Up until a little over a year ago, I had no clue what Virtualization is all about, much less tried it myself. But ever since I started, I can't get enough.

If you have read any of my post, you know how much I love Xenserver. I have it running what I call my Super Router (pfSense + Untangle) and it has been rock solid for a long time now. By that system is kind of out of site and out of mind. The virtulization system I use the most and is installed on my workstation computer is Virtualbox. Virtualbox is a great way to try out a lot of different operating systems without worrying about that whole dual boot method we used to use.

Right now I have 21 different OS in my virtualbox. Of course they are not all running and most of them I never use, but it has given me a great chance to try out a lot of things I never would have before (sounds like something I would say to my wife). Anyway, here are a few of the 21 OS in case anyone is interested:

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 7 Pro

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows Server 2008

Windows NT Workstation ( I just had to try it again. Bang browser could not even display the Google page)

WHS v1

WHS v2

Aurora

Puppy Linux

Ubuntu

Xbuntu

Kbuntu

LinuxMCE

Mandrake Linux

Pinguy Linux (variation of Ubuntu)

Fedora

and DOS (never could get this to work right)

And then some others you may not have hear of before:

DesktopBSD

FreeBSD

Haiku

MenuetOS

ReactOS

There were some others that I am sure I missed and the fast majority of them I never used past the initial install and peaking around, but it has been a lot of fun. The only ones I use on a regular basis are:

Windows XP (I have Office 2003 loaded on this OS for when I need to use the old Excel since most of the systems at work still use Excel 2003)

Windows 7 Pro (Use this to load software I don't quit trust on my main system or just for general testing)

Ubuntu (actually starting to get replaced with Pinguy, but used almost entirely for web browsing. Why? Because I can.:) )

Pinguy Linux (been using this more and more and Ubuntu less and less)

Anyway, no real point to this post, just didn't like seeing this forum going so long without a post.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erchni

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• ikon

Guest no-control

I'm actually very active with VM's but I don't post much in here unless someone has a question. I know you're behind on the podcast so you'll here me mention more about some of my VM's around 25-27.

BTW they make a plug in for older versions of office so you can start using the secured files(docx & xlsx) in the older builds. Using the older file system is a huge security hole. It's the #1 vehicle for malicious code. wink.gif

I am trying to catch up on the podcast, but with the schools closed for the holidays, traffic is much better meaning it is going to take longer than usual to catch up.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am at that much of a risk since that VM is not downloading spreadsheets from the net and has no email setup. I am also running MS Security Essentials on the VM, plus everything is behind my UTM.

Now my office on the other hand, that could be the security risk. Of the 100+ that would use Excel, about 10 of us have Office 2010. The rest are on 2003 or even 2000. On the other hand, it has been a long time since anyone in the building got a virus on their workstation computer. I think we are running Norton at the office and I while we have a decent Cisco router, there is no UTM that I know of set up, although we do have a web filter.

I will be building a new 2008R2 box with Hyper V Roles installed. The main purpose will be to test the new WHS version when it comes out next month along with a Windows 7 client to download the streams from my HD HomeRun.

The main system will be joined to my SBS domain, but not the VM's. The specs are an i5 760 with 8 gigs DDR3 RAM with a P55 Gigabyte MOBO and a CoolerMaster 912 case. An external two drive IcyDock device in RAID 1 will serve as some external storage along with 4 2TB internal drives and a 1 TB WD Black for the OS and virtual disks.

I just have to chime in here.. I have Windows 98(SE if i recall correctly) running in Virtual PC vm.

Just so i could play Master of Orion II again :D

easypc, you are right, Pinguy is just a variation of Ubuntu and therefore a lot is the same. However, since I don't want to spend a lot of time setting up a Linux machine that I am not going to use that much, Pinguy is nice since it comes "out of the box" with a lot of the setup already done. Things like the software loaded, the PC monitor thing loaded on the desktop and the way the menu is laid out.

Windows 98, thats good. I tried to get Windows 3.11 for Workgroups running, but had trouble and gave up. I did get Windows NT running, man does that thing look OLD. Heck, the web browser couldn't even display the Google page.

Was that NT 3.5 or 4.0? I remember we had a machine back in the day (2000) that was a 33mhz DX-2 (I think) that we put 16 2MB RAM sticks in it. We needed a machine with an ISA slot to run the dedicated graphics card for a monochrome 21" monitor which only had 16-bit drivers. That thing was slow as Christmas, but the size of the screen was just something you couldn't throw away.