RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Can we talk Hostnames?

itGeeks

It's that time of the year again when I am looking over my network and wondering if I can make any changes to the way I do things aka (House Cleaning). How do you all name your devices? Do you have a standard formula that you use??

Edited by itGeeks

mattb75

I name servers based on whether they are production or dev, physical or virtual and then by OS and role

Eg

PVW2K12R2DC would be a Production, virtualised instance of Windows server 2012 R2 running the domain controller,

DPW2K16CA would be a Development, Physical Machine with Server 2016 acting as the Certificate Authority

For other devices such as switches or access points I tend to name based on device type and location

Eg

AP-Landing for an Access Point located on the landing, or

Switch-Den for a switch located in the Den.

Mobile devices are named as the device and the primary user

Eg

IPhone6S-64GB-Matt

What do you currently do?

itGeeks

Below is what I been doing, I just feel like the host-names should be shorter.

update: I can't upload my attachment right now so I will have to post it later.

Edited by itGeeks

ShadowPeo

I have two methods that differ slightly but that is due to the reference structure for each not so much that the convention changes

One set of clients has a numbering system that references each site. The numbers are always four digits, even the lower numbers are padded out, as such its easy to work out

SiteNumberPrimaryRoleServerNumber - so therefore in example 1234SDC01 is at site 1234 it's the SDC or Site Domain Controller and it server number 1 of that role, so 1234SDC02 is the secondary etc. Other hardware such as switches work on a similar convention 1234CORE01 is the Primary core switch where it is stacked (and you cannot see the numbers in the config so it's only a physical reference) the physical references will be 1234CORE01-01 for the first switch, always numbered top to bottom. endpoints, WAPS etc are 1234P29(NUMBER IF APPLICABLE) or for example, the new Aerohive AP's are 1234-AP550-CONF(ERENCE ROOM)

Devices in this schema are named 1234-MODEL-ASSET# FOR MODEL or OWNER so you will end up with 1234-P446-SW or 1234-P446-001 (always padded to the maximum number of units so that way it sorts properly in the DB, if it gets even close to 100 I will pad it to three, so you will never see for example 1234-P446-96 it would always be 1234-P446-096). If there are two people with the same initials it will be numbered starting at 02 (the one with no number is "assumed" to be 01)

For other clients that do not have that numbering scheme and at home I use a similar convention

SITE-DEVICE-LOCATION(NUMBER) so GWD-SWT-MAIN is at site GWD its a switch and its the main switch, whereas GWD-SWT-OFFICE is in an outbuilding that serves as an office, GWD-WAP-WRKSHP01 is WAP 01 in the Workshop etc. On their networks they only see the SWT-MAIN or WAP-WRKSHP01, the sites are referenced in our control software as alias' and documentation

ShadowPeo

Forgot to mention user devices are YEAR-DEVICE-OWNER/USER

JackoUK

Those of us on the HOME Server Show do it like this :rolleyes:

HPMICROSERVER1 (fried itself c2013)

HPMICROSERVER2 (just serves up data: I know it's videos)

HPMICROSERVER3 (just serves up data: I know its documents, software, images and books)

HPMICROSERVER4 (just backs up data)

HPMICROSERVER5 (just backs up data)

SAMSUNGRF511 (travels a bit doing ... stuff)

VOSTRO430 (Jeez, I forget to say it was a DELL 'excuse for a workstation' - I'll get fired already!)

LINX1010E (streams music)

CHUWIHI13 (displays lovely images ... and hopes to stream 4K video, maybe later in the year)

I did some VM's a while back:

- WIN10ENTEVAL

- MINTMATEREMOTE

I know, home users: no imagination or discipline ;-)

Edited by JackoUK
  • Like 1