RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Protectli - Firewall Micro Appliance With 4x Gigabit Intel LAN Ports.

itGeeks

This looks like it could be a great low power device for a router/UTM. Thoughts?

It does seem some people are using it for this purpose and like it. Check it out

schoondoggy

Same unit is available from several channels. Reviews are good. My only question is the BIOS, is it clean of malware and will there be updates?

itGeeks

I know what you mean, Not sure if we need to worry about malware being injected by the company but updates remain to be seen. I will see what I can find out...

ShadowPeo
11 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Same unit is available from several channels. Reviews are good. My only question is the BIOS, is it clean of malware and will there be updates?

Shhh, there is a ghost in the machine, or should that be a spectre.... :-P.

Off topic but slightly related is with if any of the suspicion around Huawei is correct, the UK IT/Telephony infrastructure is in for a big surprise as they went with Huawei, in Australia they were rejected due to security concerns

itGeeks
23 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I received a response, Good news. Updates are available.

"In the knowledge base (https://protectli.com/kb/), search for "bios". There are updates for the FW4 series vault (to address an mSATA issue) as well as udpates for the FW6 series Vaults (to address Intel ME vulnerabilities)."

Guest PassingThru

I have a FW4 with Atom E3845 and run pfsense on it, plenty powerful, I even say overkill for my modest need, it replaced a 15 years old SonicWall SOHO. Draws 11 watts but runs a little warm for my taste, up to 50c at idle. It is fanless and silent. Never heard of malware on BIOS but oh well these days, but surely the bad guys have more efficient ways of deploying their stuff.  AlliExpress sells about 1/week of these boxes.