RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hosed IP, now getting "Error Flashing NVRAM" during IP reinstall

Shannyla

A sorry tale of woe from a new member to this very useful forum...

I bought a used Gen8 Microserver from eBay, and it arrived with an SSD in the optical drive slot with Windows 7 installed. Looked in good condition, just a bit dusty. No array disks yet. Having read around a lot I was aware of fan noise issues with the various disc modes so I wanted the latest BIOS installed and a server OS installed. I had an issue with booting from any usb stick, it basically didn't so still started into Windows 7 each time, and having entered Intelligent Provisioning I found the Erase Utility. Having only Dell servers at work I was only familiar with Dell's Lifecycle Controller, and hadn't come across IP before, so a bit of nosying around and it looked pretty good, probably more useful than Dell LC.

Thinking the bootloader on the SSD might be the problem I clicked Erase All Hard Drives, which certainly did for the bootloader and no more Windows 7. The problem now was when I tried to go into either f10 IP or f5 RAID setup I'm getting a GRUB v2.02 command line.

Bit more reading, I tried the option of reinstalling IP from the HPIP164.2017_0113.129.iso. Again USB stick boot not working so I burnt a DVD and attached a drive to the optical bay. DVD booted fine, utility connected to ILO, tried to write the software and it errored:  "Error Flashing NVRAM Please Try again". Tried again a few but no joy.

More reading, came across HPQLOCFG.exe and the FlashFormat xml to reformat the internal NANd, ran that successfully, rebooted, booted the IP dvd and once more, no yo bro.

Also tried IP Update 1.7.0, same result

So I'm at an impasse. No IP seems to mean no access to the Raid config so no building a raid to put the OS on. USB boot seems to be an issue. ILO Diagnostics shows the Embedded Flash/SD-CARD to be green ticked good and at Controller Firmware Revision 2.10.00. ILO version is 2.55. System ROM is J06 06/06/2014. No obvious lines in the ILO logs to suggest a problem

Any thoughts? Don't think there's a hardware error as IP was working fine until I clicked Erase All Drives.

After an evening of work the problem is sorted. Updated all firmware to the latest version using Virtual Media in iLO, then ran the Intelligent Provisioning Update ISO 1.70 as Virtual Media, and now all good.

iLO really quite nice, now I can get back into it I'll have a good look-around Intelligent Provisioning before getting an OS on the box.

• 7 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:55 AM, Shannyla said:

After an evening of work the problem is sorted. Updated all firmware to the latest version using Virtual Media in iLO, then ran the Intelligent Provisioning Update ISO 1.70 as Virtual Media, and now all good.

iLO really quite nice, now I can get back into it I'll have a good look-around Intelligent Provisioning before getting an OS on the box.

I have the same problem. I oredered the server from ebay too. I've installed the service pack, but i still getting the nvram flash error when i'm trying to update to 1.70. Do you have other drivers? Right now my server is a brick :(

Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, Shannyla said:

I'm stuck with the same problem :(
@
Shannyla, could you share more details on what exactly you have updated. That "Updated all firmware..." doesn't say much.

Thanks in advance!