RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Gulftown

HDD cage mounting problem.

Gulftown

I have bought Seagate Enterprise ST8000NM055 drives.

There are few things you should know about this model - it is expensive compared to many other 8Tb models, it has extended warranty, it is made with closed drive case so the mounting holes are not screwed through.

The problem is I couldn't put the hole screw inside so the drive isn't fixed and I also got a problem wheh putting the drive rail inside the cage as the screw top makes it too wide.

bolt.png.f7648791b003ce13af9ded8c9d5d7a54.png

Has anyone met this problem?

I've bought some spare screws on Ebay to shorten them (I don't want to mess arount with genuine screws) so they can fit but the parcel was lost.

schoondoggy

Your drive does take a very short 6-32 screw. Page 34:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/enterprise-hdd-fam/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/constellation-es-4/en-us/docs/100780698h.pdf

image.png

An additional issue is that the drive caddies on the MS Gen8 require a screw with a fairly flat, high degree backside angle, yet broad countersunk head. 100 degree or higher are the best fit. I have had good luck getting short high angle screws from these guys:

Here is a 6-32 100 degree 3/16 that I would try.

http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_252&products_id=612 

• Like 1

Gulftown
11 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Yes, I've read tis document when I found out that the screw doesn't fit.

11 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

An additional issue is that the drive caddies on the MS Gen8 require a screw with a fairly flat, high degree backside angle, yet broad countersunk head. 100 degree or higher are the best fit. I have had good luck getting short high angle screws from these guys:

Here is a 6-32 100 degree 3/16 that I would try.

http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_252&products_id=612

I've ordered some screws on ebay and as I couldn't find cheap enough flat-head 3/16, I've bought 1/4 planning to rasp them but I didn't think about head compatibility. Thank you for helping me on this.