RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 Microserver not getting IP address during first setup

teogtv

Hi All

I have a new Gen8 Microserver which I'm setting up for the first time. I have added an SSD to the spare SATA port for the OS drive and want to do initial setup with Intelligent Provisioning so i can proceed to installing Win Server Ess 2012R2. I also installed 16GB ram.

When I boot server I get to the part where i need to choose intelligent provisioning (F10) and basically it says its attempting to boot from NIC and starts looking for an IP from DHCP and cannot find one, so goes into a loop try to find an IP. It appears the server cannot get an IP address from the router and therefore i cannot access iLO.

Troubleshooting i have done:

1. Checked Network connection/cables - work perfectly on my laptop.

2. Logged into the router and confirmed server wasnt there.

3. Tried both NIC 1 and the iLo NIC on the back of the server, no difference.

4. Checked Intelligent Provisioning was enabled in the BIOS settings.

5. Removed the SSD and tried with the same result.

So how do i get this unit to grab an IP address from the network?

My current network consists of 6 clients (all win 7 pro) and a HP MediaSmart Server (WHS v1) which will be replaced by the new Gen8 Microserver. All computers are connected to a switch which connected back to a modem router.

Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Teo

6 hours ago, teogtv said:

Hi All

I have a new Gen8 Microserver which I'm setting up for the first time. I have added an SSD to the spare SATA port for the OS drive and want to do initial setup with Intelligent Provisioning so i can proceed to installing Win Server Ess 2012R2. I also installed 16GB ram.

When I boot server I get to the part where i need to choose intelligent provisioning (F10) and basically it says its attempting to boot from NIC and starts looking for an IP from DHCP and cannot find one, so goes into a loop try to find an IP. It appears the server cannot get an IP address from the router and therefore i cannot access iLO.

Troubleshooting i have done:

1. Checked Network connection/cables - work perfectly on my laptop.

2. Logged into the router and confirmed server wasnt there.

3. Tried both NIC 1 and the iLo NIC on the back of the server, no difference.

4. Checked Intelligent Provisioning was enabled in the BIOS settings.

5. Removed the SSD and tried with the same result.

So how do i get this unit to grab an IP address from the network?

My current network consists of 6 clients (all win 7 pro) and a HP MediaSmart Server (WHS v1) which will be replaced by the new Gen8 Microserver. All computers are connected to a switch which connected back to a modem router.

Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Teo

Hi, Teo

First remove all cables and try to connect to the MS via iLo, you will see the iLo ip on the boot screen. Can't show you the picture right now as I'm a bit out of remote connection to the network my MS in due to maintenance. But I'm ready to reboot it if you still need help.

Remember iLo and NIC interfaces are separate things, don't try to mix this eggs.

Stolen one picture from the Internet. Look at the lower-left corner. You will surely need the VGA-connected diplay for the first time at least.

gen8-fig3.png

Edited by Gulftown
Corrected two-post integration.

Hi Gulftown

I dont have an IP address in the bottom left hand corner, thats the problem basically, the ilo is not getting an IP address. Without the IP address i cannot connect to it.

HP's instructions basically say the server will obtain an IP address automatically, but its not.

Thanks anyway, will keep looking online for a solution.