RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Freenas OS Gen 8 firmware Upgrade

wiser

I've had my Microserver for a couple of years and have had a steep learning curve, as yet incomplete. My latest Firmware is 2015, I'm using Freenas 11.1 OS and have been searching for ways to upgrade the microsever firmware for ages with little success. I found, through some of your posts, that the latest usable is 2016. Now I would love to use it but cannot for the life of me find a way to accomplish the task. When I try to access intelligent provisioning I end up at the Freenas Grub page which only allows me to upgrade Freenas. Am I really dumb? Can anyone help with a logical procedure? Thanks in advance!   

According to my knowledge intelligent provisioning is available only for officially supported OSes. FreeNas is not among them. Could you post a snapshot from your ilO to show the FW versions of your MS? We both running similar OSes as I am using Nas4Free :)

OK, so your iLO and ROM are not the latest. You may upgrade to the versions shown in my snapshot.

Edited by netware5

Thanks and although i appreciate the information, the question really was about how not what to upgrade to. I presume I can do it on a USB stick and just boot the gen 8. I hope, without affecting the Freenas bootable configuration 

Yes, you can upgrade without affecting the Freenas bootable configuration.

Regarding BIOS update please visit this page and follow the instructions to create a bootable USB with BIOS upgrade. If you have not active warranty the download is not possible. In such case do search in the forum for links posted by members. 

Regarding iLO update please visit this page and follow the instructions (second option) to extract the iLO image and then update using iLO web interface

Edited by netware5