RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 CPU Upgrade fan speed

mgreeny

Hi All,

I'm new here but various google searches have brought me to the forum over the years and it's proved very useful. I'm about to throw my Gen8 out of the window as I'm getting very frustrated!

I've just upgraded the CPU to a Xeon 1220L (just a 20W draw). I run ESXi on it and as soon as it boots up the fan gradually increases to 70%. This is with no VMs even running yet. I'm using the built in RAID10 configuration and in the iLO there are no obvious temperature issues (I'll check again later)

Anything I can do to mitigate this? I can't understand why changing the CPU is making the fan run to fast when there isn't even a load on the system yet.

Thank you

16 hours ago, mgreeny said:

Hi All,

I'm new here but various google searches have brought me to the forum over the years and it's proved very useful. I'm about to throw my Gen8 out of the window as I'm getting very frustrated!

I've just upgraded the CPU to a Xeon 1220L (just a 20W draw). I run ESXi on it and as soon as it boots up the fan gradually increases to 70%. This is with no VMs even running yet. I'm using the built in RAID10 configuration and in the iLO there are no obvious temperature issues (I'll check again later)

Anything I can do to mitigate this? I can't understand why changing the CPU is making the fan run to fast when there isn't even a load on the system yet.

Thank you

Can't say the logic HP put in there cooling system but it reads temps and sets fan spped depending of readings. So yes, CPU change has affected the fan speed. Sorry.

Try to investigate some dependencies here: CPU load+CPU temp -> fan speed

There are several ways you can solve the problem:

1. You can flash the BIOS (you can find some info here but I'm not going this research for you as I'm too lazy, sorry again) with the reduced fan duty cycle.

2. You can place back your old CPU (are you sure you had to do this upgrade?)

3. You can place a third-party fan and fake it's signals. It is hard but possible.

• 1 month later...

Hey  mgreeny:

Did you manage to figure it out? I just did exactly the same upgrade and my fan speed hovers from 15 idle to 18% with load so I am not sure how this is working out since the 1220L has 20TDP and the 1610T had 35W! I understand this CPU has turbo boost, but still strikes me odd that I get that CPU fan speed when with the old CPU i was getting between 10-14% fan speed.

I have the same problem, only i bought the Server with 1220L CPU (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz)

I've created a case with HPE, and they answered with this fantastic answer:

Observations: 

• We do not see any issue with the server
  • As per the report we see you have non-HPE hard drives and 1 non-HPE DIMM installed in the server.
  • This is the reason the fan is running at 70% speed.

Action Plan: 

• In order to check you can remove all non-HPE components and check if the server still run’s in 70% speed
  • In order to resolve the issue we would request you to replace the non-HPE components with HPE parts

don't know if this is the same in your case... but the fan blasting on 70% is very annoying!

I have the same problem, only i bought the Server with 1220L CPU (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz)

I've created a case with HPE, and they answered with this fantastic answer:

Observations: 

• We do not see any issue with the server
  • As per the report we see you have non-HPE hard drives and 1 non-HPE DIMM installed in the server.
  • This is the reason the fan is running at 70% speed.

Action Plan: 

• In order to check you can remove all non-HPE components and check if the server still run’s in 70% speed
  • In order to resolve the issue we would request you to replace the non-HPE components with HPE parts

don't know if this is the same in your case... but the fan blasting on 70% is very annoying!

That definitely sucks :( In my case i am lucky and the fan idles at 14%, higher than with the 1610T, but not a lot more.

I have 2 WD drives (4 TB each) and 8 GB of ECC kingstom ram , so no HP as well.

These are my firmware levels:

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter #2 20.6.41 Embedded
iLO 2.54 Jun 15 2017 System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data 0.00 System Board
Intelligent Provisioning 1.62.14 System Board
Redundant System ROM J06 07/16/2015 System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 2.2.0.31.2 System Board
System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x06 System Board
System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System Board
System ROM Bootblock 02/04/2012 System Board

@korso where did you download the NIC driver?

As i'm currently have this one: bc 1.39 ncsi 1.4.18.0

MAdD

Not sure tbh, I think from the latest SP ISO (881936_001_spp-2017.07.1-SPP2017071.2017_0718.11)

Hey  mgreeny:

Did you manage to figure it out? I just did exactly the same upgrade and my fan speed hovers from 15 idle to 18% with load so I am not sure how this is working out since the 1220L has 20TDP and the 1610T had 35W! I understand this CPU has turbo boost, but still strikes me odd that I get that CPU fan speed when with the old CPU i was getting between 10-14% fan speed.

Hi,

I just decided not to use the built in RAID set up. Just using one SSD and the performance is great and silent. And the amount of electricity I'm using is a mere 35 watts!

Hi,

I just decided not to use the built in RAID set up. Just using one SSD and the performance is great and silent. And the amount of electricity I'm using is a mere 35 watts!

Nice! What about the fan speed now?

Just got Word from HPE.

They deliver a new PSU (power unit) and Fan.

I need to install these and let them know if this will solve the issue.

Let you know when i have the parts and tested it!

MAdD