RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Doubts about Gen8 upgrade

fbafkis

Hi everybody! This is my first post on this awesome forum. I read a lot of topics about upgrading HP Microserver Gen8, and specifically about active CPU cooling. Now mine is running with the standard Celeron. I need an upgrade 'cause I'm going to run some VM's in the near future. I'm going to choose the CPU for the upgrade. I'm aiming at two compatible models (thanks to AliExpress they now are affordable for me, poor computer engineering student :D): Xeon E3 1270v2 and E3 1280v2. They both have 69 W TDP. I absolutely plan to install an Active cooler for the CPU (eg. the Akasa K25 described in a post here on the forum, that have a TDP of 73 W). So my question is: do you think that it's possible for me to install for example the 1280v2 without problems? 

The second question is about the HP P410 Smart Array Board, that I'm going to use to create a new array of two 2.5" HDDs mounted on the side of the microserver and one SSD already installed in the ODD bay. I read that it's suggested to mount a fan on the P410 due to the small form factor of the case. Is that enough to keep it cool with the HDDs nearby? 

Last but not least: will the 200W PSU support all these components (I already have four 3.5 HDDs mounted in the cage)?

Thank you a lot for the support and the answers! 

19 minutes ago, fbafkis said:

Hi everybody! This is my first post on this awesome forum. I read a lot of topics about upgrading HP Microserver Gen8, and specifically about active CPU cooling. Now mine is running with the standard Celeron. I need an upgrade 'cause I'm going to run some VM's in the near future. I'm going to choose the CPU for the upgrade. I'm aiming at two compatible models (thanks to AliExpress they now are affordable for me, poor computer engineering student :D): Xeon E3 1270v2 and E3 1280v2. They both have 69 W TDP. I absolutely plan to install an Active cooler for the CPU (eg. the Akasa K25 described in a post here on the forum, that have a TDP of 73 W). So my question is: do you think that it's possible for me to install for example the 1280v2 without problems?

It is the first time I hear about installing e3-1280 v2 in Microserver, but it the stepping is OK and BIOS microcode supports it there should be no problem with it.

The second question is about the HP P410 Smart Array Board, that I'm going to use to create a new array of two 2.5" HDDs mounted on the side of the microserver and one SSD already installed in the ODD bay. I read that it's suggested to mount a fan on the P410 due to the small form factor of the case. Is that enough to keep it cool with the HDDs nearby?

It is the first time you are writing here but is it your first visit? If you haven't heard about Shoondoggy's bracket, the answer is - yes, you can use the fan and it will work.

Last but not least: will the 200W PSU support all these components (I already have four 3.5 HDDs mounted in the cage)

HDD's power consumption is not even close to CPU consumption. TDP is not the exact power consumption so you can probably meet some difficulties trying to run a lot of HDDs as CPU left not too much power. But if you read the board through you will know people place much more hard drives without problems. The answer is - probably you will not meet problems but you should check the spin-up goes ok and doesn't cause a detection problem.

• Thanks 1

I'd also come to you with one question:

Are you going to upgrade your RAM? VM's usually consume more RAM than CPU time as far as I have been dealing with it with not so often exclusions. Let's check: CPU is around 210-220$ on Ebay, and you will pay at least 150$ for 16Gb RAM for sure.

Or you can get LGA2011 e5-2660 v2 for 150$ (it was 120$ just month ago (((  ), 32Gb Buffered ECC RAM for 120$ and you have to add just around 40-50$ above the remaining budget to buy a motherboard, with this addition you will get 10-core 25M cache CPU and 32GB RAM. I am not blaming the Microserver, but do you really want to get all the power of it with all the consequences including the maximum speed system fan rotation, a lot of heat watts produced per perfomance an so on?..

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the super fast answers!

I know the Schoondoggy's mounting bracket. And right now I'm still not 100% sure that I'll need additional drives. I'm evaluating the needs right now. 

About CPU upgrade: 
Well, I already have 16 GB of Kingston Memory installed. The E3 1280V2 is 180$ on aliexpress. I alway used the Microserver for very light web servering and for storage purposes (sync files, personal cloud etc.). Now that I'm going to need to run some VMs (via VirtualBox installed on CentOS 7.4) I thought I'll need to upgrade it. I don't need great amounts of power. But as long I do it, I do it well. I read a lot about upgrading the Microserver, and I noticed that there aren't a lot of problem with noise and air temp once that an active cooler is placed on the CPU. I'd love to enhance the performances of my Gen8 instead of build (I don't need it for now) a new most powerful server. Surely in the future (depending on a lot of factors influencing my life/career :D) I'll divide storage needs and VM implementation needs on two different machines. 

However thank you a lot for the advices!  

15 hours ago, fbafkis said:

Thank you for the super fast answers!

I know the Schoondoggy's mounting bracket. And right now I'm still not 100% sure that I'll need additional drives. I'm evaluating the needs right now. 

About CPU upgrade: 
Well, I already have 16 GB of Kingston Memory installed. The E3 1280V2 is 180$ on aliexpress. I alway used the Microserver for very light web servering and for storage purposes (sync files, personal cloud etc.). Now that I'm going to need to run some VMs (via VirtualBox installed on CentOS 7.4) I thought I'll need to upgrade it. I don't need great amounts of power. But as long I do it, I do it well. I read a lot about upgrading the Microserver, and I noticed that there aren't a lot of problem with noise and air temp once that an active cooler is placed on the CPU. I'd love to enhance the performances of my Gen8 instead of build (I don't need it for now) a new most powerful server. Surely in the future (depending on a lot of factors influencing my life/career :D) I'll divide storage needs and VM implementation needs on two different machines. 

However thank you a lot for the advices!  

You're welcome, and thank you for kind words.

If you are not planning to extend your server cluster the only way for you is:

1. Buy a new CPU. Be sure you have got a spare 1155 mobo to check to avoid sort of problems 1260L thread starter got (you can xheck it).

2. Test it in your system.

3. Try to add as much HDD's as you can to check the load. Remember: you are to be sure every drive is detected by the system.

4. Make some CPU load testing, better with core temp being watched as the system temps do via iLo. You are to control everything.

5. Do whatever you have to make power supply and coolant OK depending on the 3) and 4) test results.

Please be aware external raid card produces additional heat and consumes more power as it itself is a sort of  on-board PC like graphics card with it's owm processing unit and memory.

If you have some problems with power there's no problem as there's plenty amount of PSU in stock in any local store. I have already checked it.

And regarding the heat and noise problem... There is a problem. It can depend on the noise level of the closet your MS is located in, but the fan is really loud at high speeds - you will see it soon.

I really hope I will find a way to make third-party fans work with HP MS G8 as I am starting to get tired of my fan noise (and I'm going to move it to a small closet - that will surely make things even worse). MihaiT found some ways to cheat with it but he's doing some sort of magic, I know something about electricity and schematics (speaking too modest) but I can't understand the way he made HP see the pulse tachometer using the trip point sensor. As soon as I have some info about the way it works I will come up with some ideas for members...

Hi! You can upgrade Gen8 with E3-1270v2 or E3-1280v2 without any problems and it will work fine. I made one such server with E3-1280v2 for my client (for their accounting and trade system for 6-7 persons). I didn't use additional cooling, only disabled Turbo Boost option for insurance and with original G1610T heatsink it works normally, showing 40° C most of time. I have two own Microservers with E3-1240v2 in such way.

BUT! If you will look at pricing of E3-1240v2 (3.4 GHz) vs E3-1270v2 (3.5 GHz) or E3-1280v2 (3.6 GHz), you'd better make a decision to buy E3-1240v2, because it is cheaper and only 100/200 MHz less frequency than other models. CPU-Z tests are in attachment. Good luck!

E3-1280v2 iLO.png

cpu-z e3-1220v2.png

cpu-z e3-1240v2.png

cpu-z e3-1270v2.png

cpu-z e3-1280v2.png

Edited by DrKovalex