RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Gulftown

Microserver Gen8 chassis fan upgrade.

Gulftown
1 hour ago, RobWu said:

almost noise-less

Can't quite imagine noiseless microserver stock fan setup. My microserver sounds like jet engine with the stock fan and I don't know the way to make it sound not so loud.

How could you acheive this result?

RobWu

Nothing really. It was always very quiet, only had the 'chirping crisis' just once.
It is only very loud when I restart the server, but as soon as the boot sequence is finished, the fan throttles down to low noise levels.

Sorry, but that's it. I just recall a driver pack, or update pack, for the server once had the fan running faster than normal. But that was fixed quite quickly. No idea how, when or where to find this atm. ;)
Maybe a search on the forum might help out.

rob

Gulftown
54 minutes ago, RobWu said:

It was always very quiet

What CPU and RAID controller (and if b120i, what mode, AHCI or RAID) do you use?

I've got E3-1260L and P222 PCIE RAID that affects heat and fan speed for sure.

Edited by Gulftown

RobWu

G1610T & b120i in RAID mode. Nothing fancy ;)

Gulftown
1 hour ago, RobWu said:

G1610T & b120i in RAID mode

Celeron produces not so much heat and b120i also known to increase fan speed in AHCI mode but be ok in RAID mode.

One day you still need to be ready for fan replacement...

Edited by Gulftown

fury

I ended up buying a HP fan with the 6 pin connector, just to cut the connector off and solder it onto a 4 pin PWN fan as per SilentPCReview.

Made a world of difference without worrying about creating a controller.

Has been running for many years without fault.

Gulftown
11 hours ago, fury said:

I ended up buying a HP fan with the 6 pin connector, just to cut the connector off and solder it onto a 4 pin PWN fan as per SilentPCReview.

Made a world of difference without worrying about creating a controller.

Has been running for many years without fault.

In fact, Mihai's scheme is really bad as Microserver is going into loop RD lock detection. If you open the SPC link you will be able to clearly read the datasheet prohibition to do so ).
I would like to find some time to make some measurements with oscilloscope before putting everything together. But if you think I slould hurry I can create a topic with all the information I found regarding this topic.

Gulftown
12 hours ago, fury said:

4 pin PWN fan

Would you be so kind to tell me the manufacturer and model?