RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Orion

WiFi for my house

Trig0r

Yeah TPLink tend to be on the cheaper end of the scale, the product page on their site sold me on it as the boss at work wanted something for his house, I'll test it first to see if it'll do what I want though before I install it lol

itGeeks
On 2/11/2018 at 6:53 PM, Trig0r said:

Yeah TPLink tend to be on the cheaper end of the scale, the product page on their site sold me on it as the boss at work wanted something for his house, I'll test it first to see if it'll do what I want though before I install it lol

The more research I do about this kit the more intrigued I am. That said I am not saying there are not faults with it but you get so much out of the box and from what I can tell it will serve the average home user very well. As I stated I have recommended the Archer C7 in the past to families that don't wan't to spend a lot and don't have high demands because its a sound product that just works. Please let us know how your testing goes, As of now its in my tool belt as an option for people with multi level houses that don't need a power house for a wireless network. I do still wish it was AC1900 but hey hew can complain at that price.

Some questions->

1) What kind of user is your boss

2) What is the internet speed your boss has

3) How many devices is on his network

4) How many sqft house is it?

5 How many levels is the house?

Edited by itGeeks

Trig0r

So, finally got this Deco up and running, means I can pull my server out and faff with that while the Deco does the WiFi/Router duties..

Setup is easy enough - App will allow you to set WiFi networks up in a few minutes, plug the device in, Bluetooth to your device to set it up then done.

Profiles are easy to manage - The app lets you know when a new device connects to your network, from there add it to a profile, simples..

Its built-in filtering could do with being adjustable by profile, for instance, my rig mines, which the Trend stuff blocks, and I'd rather be able to turn it off for me, but not others.

No web interface, everything is done by the app, you cant adjust DHCP pools or anything, nor can you monitor them.

You can set port forwarding and address reservations which is probably enough for "normal" homes.

The youth hammers the WiFi, XBOne, iPad and iPhone will be on at the same time, playing Fortnite, Facetiming his mate who he plays with, and then music streaming on the other, if we're streaming Netflix or similar in the upstairs bedroom the AP will lock out once in a while, you can set QoS and device priorities but we're pushing it with our usage, you can ethernet them though which solves that issue (no separate WiFi backhaul), but for me the point of WiFi means no cables.

There is no "spot finder" in the setup, so you cant see where is the best place to stick these things like you can on other kits, it'd really help given that its all setup from an app.

It's not bad kit, but for people that are used to running UTM or a router with a bit more control, they won't like the lack of tweaking you can do with the Deco.

There's also the use of Trend Micro and the possibility of them being sent info from your devices..

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3194843/internet/asus-router-warnings-on-privacy-and-security.html

I think if I were to keep this, they'd have to give us more tech savvy guys a web interface or more control through the app, it'd be really nice as well if they built home plugs into the PSU's for these things for backhaul, it's about time someone did...

Will I keep it, no, i'll be faffing with the server then swap it out for something else, maybe something simple like homeplugs with WiFi built into them, not decided yet...

Victor86

GOOGLE wifi AC1200 Dual Bend Mesh Wifi Router White... 😊