RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Orion

WiFi for my house

Orion

Do you guys think that the WiFi management from the nighthawk to make multiple devices faster actually does anything. And can any of these other routers do the same thing. I don’t think my airport has any of that. And i have a ton of WiFi devices like fire sticks tablets ect. 

Also so i have my whole house fitted with Ethernet so adding ubiquity acess points would be easy. In case that creates any light bulbs. 

schoondoggy

How many devices do you have on WiFi?

Orion

I’d say around 10 most of the time not all at once

Ikon-TNG
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

It has not been released, but this is an interesting product; http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/ac2600-wi-fi-mcafee-router-dir2680/

According to http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/d-link-to-offer-dir-2680-wi-fi-router-(ac2600-802-11ax-router)-going-for-11-gbs.html it will have a list price of $250. Maybe it will be somewhat cheaper at street level.

itGeeks
11 hours ago, Orion said:

Do you guys think that the WiFi management from the nighthawk to make multiple devices faster actually does anything. And can any of these other routers do the same thing. I don’t think my airport has any of that. And i have a ton of WiFi devices like fire sticks tablets ect. 

Also so i have my whole house fitted with Ethernet so adding ubiquity acess points would be easy. In case that creates any light bulbs. 

As long as the pipe coming into the house is central I would just use a good wireless router, No need to complicate the setup unless you want bragging rights. If you go with Ubiq you will need to either run there software on a system that's on 24 hours or purchase a cloud key adding extra cost. I would use the KISS statement here. My vote here is still the Synology RT2600ac, It should serve you well. You can even install there DNS package and use it for caching.... They also have an IDS/IPS package that works good but does slow your speed down but I don't notice it when surfing the internet. IPS does have a small bug in it that blocks of all site (here) but Synology is working on a fix as its a know issue. I have also used Asus routers over the years and they work great also.

Edited by itGeeks

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a nighthawk and ubiquiti AP and definitely don't suggest it as a solution. Unless you are interested in buying my ubiquiti. The nighthawk is awesome though. I have thought about getting another nightmare and use it as an AP.

Ikon-TNG
5 hours ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

I have a nighthawk and ubiquiti AP and definitely don't suggest it as a solution. Unless you are interested in buying my ubiquiti. The nighthawk is awesome though. I have thought about getting another nightmare and use it as an AP.

What a ringing endorsement. Ubiquiti should be calling soon to ask you to be their spokesman. ;)

Trig0r

We've got 3 of the Ubiq's at worn, they do the job..

I've got this Deco kit at home now to test, will see what it's like when I get a few hours to play..

itGeeks

@Trig0r

That's an interesting kit. I don't think about TP-Link much when peaple ask me for advice, I am not sure why. The only TP-Link I have recomended and has worked very well is the Archer C7 for peaple that don't want to spend a lot and there network demands are not high.

I need to get one of these Deco kits in-house for testing, This looks like it could be a good fit for people that don't have extremely high demands on there network and don't want to spend a lot of money for the wireless coverage they deserve in there homes. the reviews look promising though they where disappointed there was no static IP or port forwarding on the kit but it looks like a firmware has addressed that now. My only complaint at this point without testing is the lack of AC1900 vs AC1300, Not sure why TP-Link decided on AC1300 over AC1900 that I feel in this day in age should be standard minimum. Please let us know your thoughts after you test it, This kit look promising. 3 nodes that cover 4500 sqft for just under 200.00 is amazing with some advanced features such as port forwarding, Static IP and supports Ethernet backhaul is awesome... TP-Link specs say this is a great salution for anyone that has up to 500MB internet.

For anyone interested Jason over at Byte My Bits did a review, Jason does a good job with his reviews.

Nice catch, Please keep us updated on your testing....

Edited by itGeeks