RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Orion

WiFi for my house

Orion

I currently have an Apple airport exteam. I want to upgrade. I already but a nas so i don’t care about USB ports on the router. 

I have a 2000 sq foot house (ranch) and my computer room is relatively central. 

I am considering: 

net gear night hawks +\- ubiquity acesspoints

asus with their new mesh software

net gear orbi

any other suggestions? Or which of the above would be best for speed and reliability?

edgars

I am considering: 
net gear orbi

any other suggestions? Or which of the above would be best for speed and reliability?

Forget about those netgears, asus etc. Ubnt AP’s probably will be a best choice from butged range.

itGeeks
1 hour ago, Orion said:

I currently have an Apple airport exteam. I want to upgrade. I already but a nas so i don’t care about USB ports on the router. 

I am considering: 

net gear orbi

They are all great products when used in the rite setting. I am going to give you two more options-

Synology RT2600ac, It has lots of options for the power user. I own this router and it works fantastic in our small Cape.

SNB Review of the Synology

Eero

Depending on location of the service coming into your home if centrally located I think you my not have to complicate the setup. What is the building materials used in your house? Plaster, Sheet rock, ect.

Edited by itGeeks

Trig0r

I've got some TP-Link Demo M5 units that I haven't actually setup yet, that appear to be pretty funky according to the fluff...

Dave

The Synology will cover that easily. I wouldn't discount the Orbi as you can add on coverage to areas that may be on the edge of signal. On Orbi unit should light up 2k feet easy.

itGeeks

Agreed. Dave not sure if you missed it or not but Synology is also joining the mesh part this year, They will have an add on unit that works with the RT2600ac. Specs are scarce but what I know is its 2200ac and has no external antennas and is tri-band with dedicated link for the nodes.

Edited by itGeeks

Ikon-TNG

That Synology router is pretty pricey. On Amazon.ca it's $383 with shipping. On Newegg.ca it's $420 without shipping.

Just figured out it's not worth upgrading at my house yet. We both use original Surface Pro tablets, which only do a/b/g/n.

#ikon-tng #router #synology

Edited by Ikon-TNG

itGeeks

Here in the US its 195.00 on Amazon

Ikon-TNG

Interestingly, Amazon.com says it is eligible for shipping to Canada. Most items that are on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca aren't. When you add such an item to the Amazon.com Cart, and then go to Checkout, it will tell you "this item is not eligible for shipping to your address".

With currency, shipping, and import fees, it would be $293CDN, which is almost $100 less than Amazon.ca

Orion

Thanks for the help guys. To answer the question about building materials I’m all sheet Rock here.