RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X4 PCI-Express x4 Four-Port SATA and SAS RAID Controller Card Sale!

joem

Guest no-control

Nice price on that card. This is the same one PCDoc is using in his RAID testing. It supports online capacity expansion. Meaning you can add a drive to the RAID to expand its storage capacity.

Doesn't look like a bad deal. I wonder how many you can run in a server? I'm thinking a RAID 5 for Photos and Videos, another for other shares, etc. Something like that.

• 1 month later...

As long as you have slots available on the board you should be able to run as many as you want.

No-control, can you tell me the modole number of the card that PCDoc was talking about in episode 30? Also, (this is a stupid question) where do I find the show notes?

Thanks

I have tested the Highpoint 2680. You can find the write up hear.

http://homeservershow.com/another-round-with-raid.html

So would this fit the bill for a WHS 2011 build to store my ever growing video (DVD/BluRay) collection. The RocketRAID 2640x1 and the RocketRAID 2680 are both now listed at $130 each. That would seem to be a simple solution for building a RAID array in a WHS.

I have never attempted to use RAID and would need to read up on how to use one before I consider this as a potential solution. While I consider myself above average in computers I have always stayed away from RAID and was glad DE was in WHS V1.

What is a good starting place to leard about RAID and how to effectively use it.

Tim