RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

Nobunaga

In my case fan speed is low (about 9%) and I`m glad). In major time server in idle or DLNA-active mode so no problems at all.

In my case, it's mostly the same. Normal server operations don't get maximum heat.

Since the clock is at 2.5Ghz, constant, the Turbo is clearly off. And good. It's at 60ºc with 100%, while my encoding test is running.

Appears to be stable, so far :)

Sp1r3d

My E3-1265L is ES (Engineering Sample), so it`s a 1260L in fact (2,4 GHz). In encoding of couple gigabytes of photo it reached 60C too.
So I hope no problems will appear in future.

Nobunaga

The server finished the encoding quite well, I just made a mistake, so it's useless.

But it held on at that temperature fine.

Without any turbo, for now.

Nobunaga

Now I can use this far better, as a Virtualization platform, besides the server.

The difference from the Stock CPU is, huge, of course.

:)

napalmd

I just got my E3-1260L and it is working fine. I was hoping it could handle better transcoding plex.

Transcoding videos above 30 mbit hevc to h264 still lags a bit...  I'm using htop to monitor cpu usage and all 8 threads are used when transcoding.

Nobunaga

@napalmd

Transcoding, is very CPU intensive.

I'm not using Plex, but I have Envy (rarely used it), but now it can stream movies very well. So it can encode at a nice pace, but 30 mbit HEVC to H264, will depende greatly on what is the final encode. I only tried with 1080p, H264, and it did well.

For the price we can get these now, they are good upgrades. But for what you want, I think you either need more CPU power, or another rig that can use quicksync or another GPU, along with the CPU.

Encoding is just very intensive for processing.

ucliker

The E3-1260L supports quick sync video https://ark.intel.com/products/52275/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1260L-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz.

Plex supports hardware video acceleration through Intel quick sync as well which can alleviate some of the CPU usages but you need to be a Plex Pass Subscriber in order to activate it. 

2. Enable hardware acceleration
To use Hardware-Accelerated Streaming in Plex Media Server, you need to enable it using the Plex Web App.

Open the Plex Web app.
Navigate to Settings > Server > Transcoder to access the server settings.
Turn on Show Advanced in the upper-right corner to expose advanced settings.
Turn on Use hardware acceleration when available.
hwaccel.png
Click Save Changes at the bottom.
You do not need to restart Plex Media Server after saving the changes.

Don’t see the setting?
Update to the latest Plex Media Server (1.9.3 or later)
The server owner must have a Plex Pass subscription
Make sure that the server meets the system requirements listed earlier

Nobunaga

The E3-1260L supports quick sync video https://ark.intel.com/products/52275/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1260L-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz.

Plex supports hardware video acceleration through Intel quick sync as well which can alleviate some of the CPU usages but you need to be a Plex Pass Subscriber in order to activate it. 

I don't think the Gen 8 BIOS allows the use of quick sync.

Didn't test it, but it requires a compatible BIOS, or the OS won't even recognize it.

ucliker

Why wouldn't the Bios allow quick sync? My ML10 and ML10 V2 both have quick sync enabled and there is no options in the bios for quick sync or hardware acceleration that I saw. 

Trig0r

Is QuickSync not a part of the on die GPU?  In which case its not used because the iLO's Matrox (?) does the graphics?