Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

Recommended Posts

Indrek
9 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

Changed back to the G1610T, and server is back running.

No more ideas to try.

Strong chance the CPU is DOA.

 

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but does the G1610T work with the aftermarket RAM you bought? If so, then the common thread in all non-booting configurations seems to be the CPU. I'd say return it and get a new one. Considering all the 1265L's are used system pulls, it's not inconceivable you'd get a dud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulftown
11 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

I cleaned the E3-1265L with some Isopropyl alcohol, and then finish with some Philips contact cleaner.

After it dried up, all contacts were shiny enough, and I went to another attempt.

No success... stuck at 90%....

Decided to try a BIOS reset / CMOS with the switch nº6...

Still stuck at 90%.

 

Changed back to the G1610T, and server is back running.

No more ideas to try.

Strong chance the CPU is DOA.

Time to try another mobo - it is clear. And then it can be DOA verdict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulftown

Is it ok if I give you a piece of advice?

 

If you are going to return the CPU for refund and order the other sample ;) you should better try 1260L instead of 1265L. For some time 1265L was unknown because of missing in Intel Ark and it's price was lower. For that reason after some successfull tries people started buying 1265L and few months ago the thinbgs have changed. You can find Ark listed official 1260L for less price (and now it is normal for 5 CPU costs a bit higher than 0 CPU as the additional payment goes for IGP). The tricky thing is 1265L is a bit slower at full load (with 1 or more threads executed) due to core multipler gets lower values when IGP is utilised. As fas as I can see the Passmark benchmark info this happens even if the IGP is not active.

 

To be brief: buying 1260L you can save some money and probably avoid come CPU perfomance bottlenecks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga

@Indrek

Server has, and is working fine with the G1610T and the 16GB memory kit. For years now.

It just doesn't boot with the E3-1265L.

 

@Gulftown

Yes. The seller said to try and clean the contacts, and if it doesn't work, to return it for a replacement or refund.
But I will opt for a refund, on a DOA basis.
And go for the E3-1260L. Actually costs the same in EU, but I don't know if I will order 1 now, or wait for the refund.

 

But the stability of the E3-1260L apparently, is far better.

 

Will update when I got more information :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga

Small update:

With the BIOS reset /CMOS, Windows 8.1 deactivated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulftown
16 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

@Indrek

Server has, and is working fine with the G1610T and the 16GB memory kit. For years now.

It just doesn't boot with the E3-1265L.

 

@Gulftown

Yes. The seller said to try and clean the contacts, and if it doesn't work, to return it for a replacement or refund.
But I will opt for a refund, on a DOA basis.
And go for the E3-1260L. Actually costs the same in EU, but I don't know if I will order 1 now, or wait for the refund.

 

But the stability of the E3-1260L apparently, is far better.

 

Will update when I got more information :)

I am reaaly glad too see we have a great understanding. Good luck with return and re-order and hope we hear some good news soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga
3 hours ago, Gulftown said:

I am reaaly glad too see we have a great understanding. Good luck with return and re-order and hope we hear some good news soon.

 

Well, ever since my Microserver N36L, I have always researched this forum :)

 

It was time to make an account, and actually ask things directly!

 

Still deciding on the E3-1260L, but it should be the choice to go.

Having to pay the returns to china  isn't very cheap... specially if the CPU comes DOA.

 

And it's the chinese new year... so seller is away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulftown
22 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

 

Well, ever since my Microserver N36L, I have always researched this forum :)

 

It was time to make an account, and actually ask things directly!

 

Still deciding on the E3-1260L, but it should be the choice to go.

Having to pay the returns to china  isn't very cheap... specially if the CPU comes DOA.

 

And it's the chinese new year... so seller is away.

I have started returning here day after day when I bought two 8-tb drives and couldn't find if I can use them with P222 as I wanted to upgrade my B120i. When I placed the 1260L in my box I have got another problem with fan sound so I decided to register and start my own thread. Here's a thread by MihaiT - this guy helped a lot people with placing a non-stock fan but I found his methos dangerous and I had to come with saying about the problem and offer some sort of solution.

 

Maybe you'd like to take part in this (after you have got a new CPU and you fan becomes to loud too) so I'd highly appreciate it you read my last post in the thread.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga

I decided to get the E3-1260L, while it lasted!

 

2 or 3 weeks, and it should arrive.

And I do hope this one isn't DOA and works perfectly.

In a way, the title for this post, will then be more accurate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darkk

Makes me kinda wonder about E3-1265L but I got the V2 so may not be an issue? I haven't installed it yet.  Waiting on parts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,
       
      New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 
       
      I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  
       
      Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..
       


×
×
  • Create New...