Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

Recommended Posts

schoondoggy
With the E3-1265L,  I tried with all the RAM i have, compatible with this. But ECC, I only have these kingston. 
They were a special order.
 
No combination go the initialization passed the 90%.
And yes, from the code, it appears to get stuck while it's processing something related to the memory.
If I had more ECC memory, I would try it.
 
Back with the stock cpu, the G1610T, server is up and running just fine. It is never turned off
 
Seller will replace the CPU or refund... but I am not sure if trying another E3-1265L will work.... It's not impossible that, the problem, could be the combination between the cpu and the memory... however unlikely, of course.
 
Edit: Just in case, letting some Memory tests running in the Gen 8 today. Not expecting any errors... but doesn't hurt to confirm.
The MS Gen8 only works with ECC memory. Are you trying to use non-ECC memory or mixing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga
7 minutes ago, netware5 said:

Could you check the RAM frequency in iLO? The E3-1265L cannot manage more than 1333 MHz.

 

The Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G are 1600MHz, but the that's the maximum. With the G1610T, the Gen 8 boots fine, and ILO reports the memory running at 1333 just fine.

(usually the memory can run at a lower frequency just perfectly)

4 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

The MS Gen8 only works with ECC memory. Are you trying to use non-ECC memory or mixing?

 

I only tested with the ECC memory I have.

Those are the 2GB HP module it came with, and my 2 x 8GB KTH-PL316E/8G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
netware5

I would propose to check systematically the RAM related settings in BIOS. May be they had been changed from defaults and the result is problems with 1265L and no problems with G1610T? Or may be the best solution is to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. I bought my MS Gen8 as new and didn't changed anything in BIOS. Then I just replaced the stock G1610T with E3-1265L and everything went fine. But now I am not pretty sure if the first boot with Xeon was successful or not (it was about 10 months ago). Did you tried to remove the power cord after first (failed) boot with Xeon, wait a few minutes and boot again?

Edited by netware5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulftown
On 10.02.2018 at 7:28 PM, schoondoggy said:

The MS Gen8 only works with ECC memory. Are you trying to use non-ECC memory or mixing?

He's already told memory is ecc unbuffered just as gen8 needs.

 

On 10.02.2018 at 7:53 PM, netware5 said:

I would propose to check systematically the RAM related settings in BIOS. May be they had been changed from defaults and the result is problems with 1265L and no problems with G1610T? Or may be the best solution is to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. I bought my MS Gen8 as new and didn't changed anything in BIOS. Then I just replaced the stock G1610T with E3-1265L and everything went fine. But now I am not pretty sure if the first boot with Xeon was successful or not (it was about 10 months ago). Did you tried to remove the power cord after first (failed) boot with Xeon, wait a few minutes and boot again?

I've changed 1610 to 1260 with no problem. Just put it in there and the server has booted ok. I clearly remember that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga
On 2/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, netware5 said:

I would propose to check systematically the RAM related settings in BIOS. May be they had been changed from defaults and the result is problems with 1265L and no problems with G1610T? Or may be the best solution is to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. I bought my MS Gen8 as new and didn't changed anything in BIOS. Then I just replaced the stock G1610T with E3-1265L and everything went fine. But now I am not pretty sure if the first boot with Xeon was successful or not (it was about 10 months ago). Did you tried to remove the power cord after first (failed) boot with Xeon, wait a few minutes and boot again?

 

Could you confirm what memory you are using?

I will check the settings in BIOS again, but I did not change anything there. So I did not try the factory defaults either.

 

I tried to boot the Xeon several times, with no luck. So far....

16 hours ago, Gulftown said:

He's already told memory is ecc unbuffered just as gen8 needs.

 

I've changed 1610 to 1260 with no problem. Just put it in there and the server has booted ok. I clearly remember that.

 

Just to be clear, it's a E3-1265L. I made a mistake typing the subject of the post :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
netware5
2 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

 

Could you confirm what memory you are using?

I will check the settings in BIOS again, but I did not change anything there. So I did not try the factory defaults either.

 

I tried to boot the Xeon several times, with no luck. So far....

 

 

I am using original HPE memory. Here is the snapshot from iLO. Regarding second boot I consider "cold re-boot", i.e. after first boot with new CPU to switch-off the MS, remove the power cable, wait 1-2 minutes and then boot again.

 

fileserver_memory.JPG

Edited by netware5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga
29 minutes ago, netware5 said:

 

I am using original HPE memory. Here is the snapshot from iLO. Regarding second boot I consider "cold re-boot", i.e. after first boot with new CPU to switch-off the MS, remove the power cable, wait 1-2 minutes and then boot again.

 

 

 

Thanks for the info!

My memory is ECC, but not HPE memory. Perhaps that is making a difference....

But I will clean the Xeon myself, and do another try.

Still, the HP memory the server brought didn't boot either... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indrek
47 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

My memory is ECC, but not HPE memory. Perhaps that is making a difference....

 

The memory you have (KTH-PL316E/8G) is listed here as being compatible, so that shouldn't make a difference. Plenty of people are using non-HPE RAM in the Microservers with all sorts of CPUs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobunaga

I cleaned the E3-1265L with some Isopropyl alcohol, and then finish with some Philips contact cleaner.

After it dried up, all contacts were shiny enough, and I went to another attempt.

No success... stuck at 90%....

Decided to try a BIOS reset / CMOS with the switch nº6...

Still stuck at 90%.

 

Changed back to the G1610T, and server is back running.

No more ideas to try.

Strong chance the CPU is DOA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy

The memory controller is in the CPU, so there could be an issue with the CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,
       
      New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 
       
      I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  
       
      Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..
       


×
×
  • Create New...