RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

schoondoggy

Not sure where to find them, but there should be log files of errors, status and failures.

Nobunaga

Well, I have th iLO Event Log... but nothing good there. 

image.thumb.png.c75af1ee4a14b36e483fe1bac9050f4d.png

Edited by Nobunaga

Gulftown
1 hour ago, Nobunaga said:

Well, with the latest BIOS, I got up to 90% in progress for the initialization. But does not get passed that.

This is with the Kingston KTH-PL316E/8-G. (Now discontinued, but I found the link. I knew it was ECC.)

So I cannot access the BIOS configs.

I change the memory to the HP one that came with it, and it doesn't go pass the 30%.

"Memory and QPI Link Initialization Complete"

Status code: 0114

RAM is ECC Unbuffered so everything looks fine.

Is code always the same?

Edited by Gulftown
Wrong message answer

Nobunaga
6 minutes ago, Gulftown said:

RAM is ECC Unbuffered so everything looks fine.

Is code always the same?

Memory should be compatible with CPU, but not even the stock one boots up.

I tried with just 1 DIMM, and result is the same:

image.png.93d0ac92ab605e4d3f5f9ef1e83c82c5.png

Nobunaga

Back to the stock CPU....

A few reboots, and it starts well.

image.thumb.png.2657498b0503a0725d8aa9814b57a8cd.png

Gulftown
29 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

Back to the stock CPU....

A few reboots, and it starts well.

I'd bet on the CPU problem. Maybe periphery is really not OK but should try in other mobo.

Indrek
11 hours ago, Nobunaga said:

@Indrek  @venno

Could you possibly share your BIOS version and what memory you have?

Trying to find out if it's the CPU or something in my Gen 8.

BIOS version on mine is J06 11/02/2015. I have 12 GB of RAM, both Hynix modules. Original 4 GB, product number HMT451U7DFR8A, and another 8 GB, product number HMT41GU7AFR8C.

Looking at your latest screenshots, from what I can see error code 0114 refers to memory. Try all CPU and RAM combinations (stock and upgrade) and see what works and what doesn't.

Gulftown
6 hours ago, Indrek said:

Looking at your latest screenshots, from what I can see error code 0114 refers to memory. Try all CPU and RAM combinations (stock and upgrade) and see what works and what doesn't.

Actually it is not "error code", it is status code - system shows what component it is testing and if it stops you can see where's the problem. It has been happening for ages on POST-based systems. And as mentioned in the thread it refers to memory and QPI.

Nobunaga

With the E3-1265L,  I tried with all the RAM i have, compatible with this. But ECC, I only have these kingston. 

They were a special order.

No combination go the initialization passed the 90%.

And yes, from the code, it appears to get stuck while it's processing something related to the memory.

If I had more ECC memory, I would try it.

Back with the stock cpu, the G1610T, server is up and running just fine. It is never turned off :)

Seller will replace the CPU or refund... but I am not sure if trying another E3-1265L will work.... It's not impossible that, the problem, could be the combination between the cpu and the memory... however unlikely, of course.

Edit: Just in case, letting some Memory tests running in the Gen 8 today. Not expecting any errors... but doesn't hurt to confirm.

Edited by Nobunaga

netware5

Could you check the RAM frequency in iLO? The E3-1265L cannot manage more than 1333 MHz.