RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

Nobunaga

@Gulftown

If it's the Gen 8, I only have this details from CPU-Z.

2018-02-09 18_04_12-cpu-z_1.83-en.png

My MOBO for the Desktop is a P8Z68-V PRO GEN3, Rev 1.xx., with the latest BIOS update (stable, not beta).

Edited by Nobunaga
moved image

Gulftown
5 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

@Gulftown

My MOBO for the Desktop is a P8Z68-V PRO GEN3, Rev 1.xx., with the latest BIOS update (stable, not beta).

Can't say if it supports this CPU. Was planning to try my 1260L with P8H77-I but couldn't find some time (or reason) as everything worked great so far...

Is BIOS version 3802?

Nobunaga
11 minutes ago, Gulftown said:

Can't say if it supports this CPU. Was planning to try my 1260L with P8H77-I but couldn't find some time (or reason) as everything worked great so far...

Is BIOS version 3802?

Yes, 3802.

According to the list provided by Asus, for CPU's, no XEON is there.

So, in theory, I have no machine here that I can test the CPU, except the Gen 8, that I know should work from the feedback and several posts around this, and other forums.

Gulftown
17 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

Yes, 3802.

So, in theory, I have no machine here that I can test the CPU, except the Gen 8, that I know should work from the feedback and several posts around this, and other forums.

Sorry to make you upset, but regarding to user feedback it supports E3 Xeon processors so you still have an option to demolish your desktop and try it.

Gulftown
24 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

Yes, 3802.

Our G8 also comes with Pentium G2020T  and others with IGPU so try to check BIOS configuration if there's a problem with Xeon IGP and Matrox GPU.

Can't say if it helps or not as error code points to problem with memory/QPI.

Nobunaga

Well, with the latest BIOS, I got up to 90% in progress for the initialization. But does not get passed that.

This is with the Kingston KTH-PL316E/8-G. (Now discontinued, but I found the link. I knew it was ECC.)

So I cannot access the BIOS configs.

I change the memory to the HP one that came with it, and it doesn't go pass the 30%.

"Memory and QPI Link Initialization Complete"

Status code: 0114

schoondoggy
Well, with the latest BIOS, I got up to 90% in progress for the initialization. But does not get passed that.
This is with the Kingston KTH-PL316E/8-G. (Now discontinued, but I found the link. I knew it was ECC.)

I change the memory to the HP one that came with it, and it doesn't go pass the 30%.

When it gets to 90% how long did you wait?
Or does it reboot?

Nobunaga
46 minutes ago, Gulftown said:

Sorry to make you upset, but regarding to user feedback it supports E3 Xeon processors so you still have an option to demolish your desktop and try it.

Did notice this part :)

Well, without a 100% confirmation, taking apart the whole rig (which isn't easy or quick), to test this, is way down the things I want to do.

Specially after having to custom fit a water cooler to my Computer Case, that only makes changing the CPU even worse :)

Just now, schoondoggy said:

When it gets to 90% how long did you wait?
Or does it reboot?

At start, it did reboot once or twice, and then it slowly got to the 90%. But it didn't go past that, even after waiting some 20 minutes.

But no reboot after that. It just stays there.

schoondoggy

Have you tried logging into iLo to see what is showing there?

Nobunaga
1 minute ago, schoondoggy said:

Have you tried logging into iLo to see what is showing there?

Yes. I have the advanced license, so I use the remote console to view the boot, since putting everything in the tight space, just takes too much time. Specially, to see it not work :)

What part from the ILO do you want me to screenshot?

The ILO doesn't recognize the CPU change, or even memory. I think that will only happen after a successful initialization... but I am not 100% sure on that.

All ideas are welcomed.