RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nobunaga

E3-1260L upgrade

Nobunaga

Hi all,

Yesterday I installed the E3-1260L in my Gen8, following the many confirmations that is compatible.

The price was great, and the seller in ebay, even sells it as being compatible with the Gen8 :)

Problem is, after changing the CPU, the Gen8 won't boot. Error code 0114. It stays at 20% or 50%.

My memory is ECC, compatible, and the stock CPU works fine. It is now running with it again, no issues.

But, I had not update anything in a while. 

I managed to get my hands on a SPP ISO, the lastest I could, from one of the links here. Updated all that the HPP found.

Now, the ILO firmware is now 2.55. But the SPP didn't update the BIOS.

So, after a bit of search, I just looked into the files inside the ISO, and found the cp*.exe to upgrade the BIOS, and it is now in version J06 11/02/2015.

I don't know when I can try to change the CPU again, but could anyone confirm what BIOS version they are running, if the got the E3-1260L?

And I can't the CPU anywhere, so I can't confirm it's working 100%. My guess is, some outdated firmware made the POST stuck.

qianjizhao

Can you take a photo for your 1260L?

I don't think I have see anyone has such issue.

Just wonder whether yours is a ES version CPU.

Nobunaga
36 minutes ago, qianjizhao said:

Can you take a photo for your 1260L?

I don't think I have see anyone has such issue.

Just wonder whether yours is a ES version CPU.

I read another thread, with the exact same CPU, but apparently it was a faulty Motherboard.https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/15926-microserver-seemingly-dead-after-cpu-upgrade/

Since mine works with the stock CPU, it's something else.

Here is the picture, before I installed the rest.

IMG_20180207_191048.jpg

qianjizhao
10 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

I read another thread, with the exact same CPU, but apparently it was a faulty Motherboard.https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/15926-microserver-seemingly-dead-after-cpu-upgrade/

Since mine works with the stock CPU, it's something else.

Here is the picture, before I installed the rest.

IMG_20180207_191048.jpg

The same cpu as mine. 

How many ram sticks have you got?

You can try just 1 stick to see any difference.

Trig0r

I had an E3-1260L in mine and it worked fine, its a pretty common upgrade for the Gen8, if there was a wider compatibility/BIOS issue they'd be more than 1/2 threads on it..

Osozu

HI, on picture I see not 1260L but 1265L maybe this is issue, I cannot find this cpu on itel site with this speed 2.4 only v2 and up, maybe this is sandy bridge cores and it maybe not supported by G8

Nobunaga
1 hour ago, Osozu said:

HI, on picture I see not 1260L but 1265L maybe this is issue, I cannot find this cpu on itel site with this speed 2.4 only v2 and up, maybe this is sandy bridge cores and it maybe not supported by G8

I typed everything wrong.... loool. So sorry.

Yes, it is indeed the E3-1265L, but still only bought after viewing other users reporting this as working.

Can't find an edit button to fix the mistype, but the picture is correct.

I have 2 stick of 8GB of ECC. Same behaviour with either.

Gulftown
5 minutes ago, Nobunaga said:

I typed everything wrong.... loool. So sorry.

Yes, it is indeed the E3-1265L, but still only bought after viewing other users reporting this as working.

Can't find an edit button to fix the mistype, but the picture is correct.

I have 2 stick of 8GB of ECC. Same behaviour with either.

Nobunaga,

1265L is really OK, last digit "5" value means it has integrated GPU while "0" means it doesn't. I can't say why SR0G0 is not ever listed in Intel Ark but many peple really use it.

I have bought 1260L so I can't check but maybe the problem is GPU configuration...

Do you have any LGA1155 mobos available to check if CPU is actually working?

ucliker

The E3-1265l should just work, it's the same cpu I upgraded to before I sold my gen8. I would try reseating the cpu and make sure the heatsink has even pressure. That error code is for memory but it can be caused by a bad cpu, pent pins or an improper cpu installation. 

Nobunaga

Gulftown,

Indeed the NON existence of this CPU on Intel Ark has amazed me also.... but I did my research, and found that it had many people using it, and reporting it as working well.

I just upgraded the Gen8 (running Windows 8.1), with the "Service Pack for ProLiant 2017.07.2" that I found here in the forum. That got the ILO update. The latest BIOS was also inside the ISO, although, it wasn't installed automatically.

The new BIOS is 2 years newer than my last one.... I was still running the 2013 version. Perhaps this will help.

LG1155.... I have my MAIN mobo for my Desktop. Not really with much patience to be changing so much stuff to test it, but a working MOBO, really is the only way to be sure the CPU is ok.

But will test the E3-1265L again on the Gen8, now with the firmware up-to-date, with what I could find.