RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
lordcroci

Proxmox - xpenology + vpn

lordcroci

Hi there!
I'm new around here, looked for the presentation thread but haven't found any! 
Anyway I hope to be able to contribute (as far as my newbie's knowledge will be useful :) )....

Speaking about what I'm trying to do, I have this amazing microserver gen8, on which I have 2 3tb wd red as storage and an ocz 125gb ssd on 5° port.. Installed a couple of days ago mr. PROXMOX (I'm a complete newbie to it too ) and configured the xpenology 6.0 that runs amazingly!
Now.. I'm just wondering which is the best option to configure a vpn (possibily openvpn) and from my inexperience I found a couple of options:
- try a container with turnkey debian 8 OpenVPN
- install ubuntu on a VM and setup openvpn
- try the vpn server on xpenology

or the least pleasurable
- install openvpn on my windows 10 pc and leave it turned on in way to access the microserver through vpn.. 
What do you think is better to do? Considering that I am a real noob and will need some guide or some tutorial (already googled something and Have found a lot of material on the openvpn site.. but honestly can't find so much about proxmox and vpn)

PS: sorry for my english, but I'm italian and I'm still learning! :)

thanks a lot!
Lordcroci

scorpi2ok2

You can try to install an openvpn server directly on PROXMOX.

I think you don;t need to install another VM just for vpn.

You can user openvpn as for example.

All OpenVPN Access Server downloads come with 2 free connected devices for testing purposes.

It comes with a nice WEBUi interface.

lordcroci
On 2/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, scorpi2ok2 said:

You can try to install an openvpn server directly on PROXMOX.

I think you don;t need to install another VM just for vpn.

You can user openvpn as for example.

All OpenVPN Access Server downloads come with 2 free connected devices for testing purposes.

It comes with a nice WEBUi interface.

Thanks a lot, I did that and it worked! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• pksparks
      By pksparks
      Hi, 
      been reading through this forum, and also 2012 r2 essentials, but somehow i am not getting my vpn to work
      my configuration:

gen8 with 2 nics connected and ilo4 nic connected. Nic 1 is connected to internet, nic 2 to my internal network
      ip adresses:
      nic 1: 192.168.2.200, with gateway
      nic 2: 192.168.10.229, no gateway
      ilo: 192.168.10.37

nic 1 is connected to 4g router. Portforwardings for ports 80, 443, 1723 to ip 192.168.2.200

after installation of server 2016e activated a remotewebaccess.com adress at microsoft, and installed remotewebacces and vpn.
      remotewebacces with /remote option is working

my windows 7 laptop is in the domain of my server, client connector installed, and backup etc working.
      when i am at my office, or connected via a hotspot of my iphone, i want to make a vpn connection.
      everytime i start this, i see shortly that username and login are checked, but that is it, connection stops.

i know i am overlooking something, but as allways, the longer you look, less change of finding it.

any suggestions?. No need to hurry, i can only test this again on saturday.😩😏. Have to work tomorrow.

any help is appreciated

rgds
      Patrick

• Himaro
      By Himaro
      So I'm trying to replace my ageing HP Proliant Microserver N54L. It's used as a general dogs body server, running Blue Iris, Plex and as my NAS server.
      I'm on a pretty tight budget but the poor server is always at 90% + CPU because of the CCTV and I'm looking at adding a second camera soon.
      Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced ECC home server build?
      My MVP is 8GB ECC memory, with 4 threads on the CPU. 
      I'd prefer a small form factor but that's like gold dust unless you throw a lot of $$££€€ at it. I've got to get this past my partner you see 😅
      Any ideas? I'm not loyal to any particular brand, so long as it works.
    • nrf
      By nrf
      A recent change in my ISP setup forced me to deal with an issue I have been keeping on the back burner. A while back, I had to change to a new VPN client for work. I had difficulty connecting as it told me a firewall must be blocking IPSEC or UDP. Blaming it on the router I had circled thru several with some initial success but ultimately failure. Having no choice now, I have narrowed it down to my network switch. the VPN is IPsec to a cisco vpn server (port 4500 and all).

Bottom line, with switches like GS108Tv2 and GS-1100-5 between my work pc and router (currently Sophos UTM 9) no problem. But my fancy tplink t1600g-28ts, no go. it validates the password ok but can't connect the vpn itself. 

Any seasoned veterans out there have an idea how this switch could be messing it up?
      thanks in advance!
      nrf
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Synology C2 Backup Now Available to US Customers

This is a data backup service that Synology released to EU customers last year.  I remember trying to get it to install and it wouldn't take my CC# because of location.  Fair enough, will it now and how much will it cost?

Seriously, how much is it?  Ask Google and on March 25th, 2018 it's $14.12.  That's still not a bad price for 100Gb of backup with versioning. Also not bad to consider this as a secondary cloud backup.  (See below for pricing)

One thing to keep in mine this is a service that falls under Hyper Backup and not Cloud Sync.  The two are very different.  This will be a true back with versioning and not a simple synchronization of a folder in a cloud service like dropbox.  Many a mistake have been made with sync pairs and cloud services!  That won't happen with backup and versions.

Enable it and Back Up

In your Synology DSM go to Hyper Backup. Install if you are not using it.  You would also use this app to backup to USB, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, etc.
      Select Synology C2 Cloud Backup.

That should launch a login portal.  If you have used Synology services before and have a login you can use those credentials or create credentials right here.

Start your free trial for 30 days but prices are still in POUNDS!  That's a pound symbol right?  If it was released to Europe why isn't it in Euros? I'm so confused.    (it is Euro Dave!  I had a brain fart on the Euro symbol.  See response post below.  Embarrassingly laughing at myself on this!)

It's here where it wouldn't let me proceed last time I tried due to it being a limited trial to EU customers only.  You have to put your CC# in to get the 30 day free trial.  It says i'm in the Europe Frankfort market but the purchase went through.  So, does this mean if the US sinks into the Ocean and all my data goes with it, my photos will be in Frankfort safe and sound?  Sweet!

This is the last web screen I see as it has now taken me back to Hyper Backup.

I'm going to choose a small amount to get started with.

I'm also going to limit the bandwidth of the backup and set Client Side encryption.  The encryption password box will allow you to use the Admin account password so you don't forget what you put here unless your Admin password is less than 8 characters.

Once you are finished it will ask you if you want to backup now. I said now just to keep the network clean while I'm working but it will backup tonight.  Look at the screen shot below.  See the little arrow by Synology C2?  That is the link to the web portal.  It would be nice to see Synology integrate this into DSM so there isn't a secondary screen needed.  It would also be nice to have some choice as to where your data is being sent and to be charged a proper amount.  I'm afraid my bank might also charge me a fee for the Pounds to USD conversion.  I'll update the post when I find out.

Here are the web portal screens below.

That's it.  It works!

• ColinBrough
      By ColinBrough
      Have a Gen8 Microserver, running XUbuntu 16.04 LTS; 4x drives, running AHCI mode - 32GB SSD with boot and swap, 6TB, 2TB and 750GB drives in the other three bays. Been running fine for the last 6 months...

Last weekend /home (on the 6TB drive) and possibly the 2TB and the 750GB drives disappeared while the machine was still up - symptom was the backups from my desktop (via unison and rsync) failing. Remote login needed password (since the ssh keys were in the now disappeared /home/....). Tried to reboot remotely, didn't come up. Today dug the machine out of its cupboard so I could hook up a monitor... only boots to emergency mode (since it can't find the 6TB, 2TB or 750GB drives, and they are mounted at boot time from /etc/fstab). Commented out the three drives, and machine now boots - but can't see those three drives.

Tried manually mounting them via 'mount --uuid XXXX' - "mount: can't find UUID=XXXX"
      Tried gparted - it can only "see" /dev/sda1, the SSD - no sign of /dev/sd[bcd] where those three drives were.
      Tried reinstalling - installer can't see /dev/sd[bcd] either...

Where have my drives gone? Feels like its a drive controller issue - something isn't letting me see those drives. And physically changing which bay the drives are in changes nothing. Attempting to boot with only one of them in the machine does nothing. Attempting to install afresh with only one of the "missing" drives in the machine it refuses to install since there is not enough disk space available...

As far as I know hadn't changed anything immediately beforehand. Uptime had been 4 weeks before the drives disappeared. Machine basically does file system backup, with a very little email relaying for a small mailing list.