RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FancyCakes

Self Introduction

FancyCakes

I didn't see a post or sticky for introductions, so I figured this was probably the best place to start.

Hi. I'm Ryan.

I've been a HSS/RESET listener for a few years and have lurked the forums off and on and finally feel like I need to become a bigger part of this community. I'm going to paste my profile bio below and then expand on that a little bit.

" My passion for tech started with our first family computer sporting a 66MHz CPU and 400MB harddrive. Discovering the world of DIY PCs in the late 90’s led me down an educational, then professional, path in the IT field, and soon I was modifying mice to add cooling fans, cutting up side panels to install case windows, and wiring in automotive LED and EL lighting products to enhance the aesthetics of my builds. There was no looking back. "

As stated above, I work in IT full-time and have been involved in the enthusiast PC industry since the late 90's as both a consumer and journalist. I've had my hands on, and in, everything from low-level consumer gadgets to enterprise-level storage systems from today's biggest manufacturers. That being said, I'm definitely not an expert at everything, but I've experienced a lot.

I've been a bit hesitant to hop into the cryptocurrency realm, as I have always kicked myself for not buying in when BTC was at around $20 and thinking that it going up to $50 made it way too expensive to get into. That hurt just typing that out. Listening to Dave and others like Jim and Mike over at Home Gadget Geeks has me wanting to get in on the action, so here I am.

Sure, there are nearly endless subreddits and blogs I could check out and comb through to learn from, but I've always been a fan of traditional forums and the communities they build up over time. Plus, I already have a feel for what this community is like having been a listener for so long.

Thanks for having me, and hope to see you on the boards!

• Like 1

itGeeks

Welcome to the forums!

Great introduction, It sounds a bit like how I got started with all this. Man have times changed since the mid 90's. I remember setting up my very first home network, It was 10Base-T using Novel software. Oh those where the days:rolleyes:

Ikon-TNG

Welcome Ryan. My father was a long time member here, and I've kind of taken up his mantle a bit. I'm older than most members, so my experience with PCs (mostly through my father) goes back to the 70s. The members have been teaching me a lot, and it sounds like I'll be learning more from you, so thanks in advance :)

Trig0r

Hmmmm, FancyCakes eh, what sort of cakes are we talking about here....

itGeeks
1 hour ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Welcome Ryan. My father was a long time member here, and I've kind of taken up his mantle a bit. I'm older than most members, so my experience with PCs (mostly through my father) goes back to the 70s. The members have been teaching me a lot, and it sounds like I'll be learning more from you, so thanks in advance :)

Was your father ikon? It sounds like he is no longer with us, My condolences. I also joined this community in 2010.

Dave
7 hours ago, FancyCakes said:

Sure, there are nearly endless subreddits and blogs I could check out and comb through to learn from, but I've always been a fan of traditional forums and the communities they build up over time. Plus, I already have a feel for what this community is like having been a listener for so long.

Hey Ryan.  This was awesome to read.  Welcome and glad to have you.  I welcome your build experience and IT experience here.  Thanks for joining in!

Ikon-TNG
17 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Was your father ikon? It sounds like he is no longer with us, My condolences. I also joined this community in 2010.

Yes he was. And yes he's cast off his mortal coil. But, he was very elderly. Put it this way: I'm his son and I'm retired, so.....

ghorbanpour

Hi my name is Jalil. Im a new member at homeservershow. I hope to have good together.

Quotereport

Edited by ghorbanpour

rajkiran

HI, my self Raj Kiran. I am working as a SEO Executive in ABC solutions pvt ltd, Bangalore.  Now i am newly joined in this forum site. I am feeling very glad to meet this forum site.

catherinecb

Hi Everyone,

After a bad car accident, I've been left housebound until my injuries heal ( months, not weeks :(  ).  I've always been interested in all things computing and plan to use the time setting up and learning about the Gen 8 Microserver my dad bought me (thank you, dad. So far I've updated some drivers and added another HD. After a lot of reading and head scratching, I have finally have got it working from the OS which is installed on the ODD. Having read the forum for a few weeks I've taken the plunge and become a member, I'm looking forward to learning even more with the help of the forum member.

Catherine

• Like 1