RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

I am on the fence for a new 24 port Edge switch PoE

itGeeks

I have narrowed down my search to the three models below, Anyone used either of these? The Netgear GS724TPv2 Seems to be the best bang for the buck. What I would like to know is the extra 127.00 for the Cisco worth it? I do need the switch to support Dynamic Link Aggregation (IEEE 802.3ad LACP), I have heard some story from people saying some of the Netgear switches did not support it very well even though the specs said it did.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GHMU5Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2XP1UZN5UVZFX&colid=1O5WHD16ISN04&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYA39D8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2UTY6UPD6G57C&colid=1O5WHD16ISN04&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J24KX7/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IE99A2IJPH97J&colid=1O5WHD16ISN04&psc=1

Edited by itGeeks

snapper

A client has a GS724TPv2 and GS748 (non poe) and they both work fine.

Firmware a little clunky and slow (IMHO) but once set up, you don't use the admin console that much anyway...

Best SOHO switch for the money I have used is the Cisco SG300 range. The newer firmware offers a CLI as well that is close to the proper IOS from Cisco, so might be useful for learning etc.

The SG300 also has a built in DHCP server so when I had one I had DHCP from the switch rather than a router. (pre UTM days)

Edit- forgot to say, LACP worked fine on both...

Edited by snapper

Trig0r

Have the SG300 here in the office and the Netgears on site, we only use the Netgears for PoE for some Comelit intercom stuff though so not really the same usage as yours, both are fine for what they do...

itGeeks

@snapper

Thanks for the suggestion about the SG300 series, When looking and found this. What do you both think?

I think I may just end up going with the Netgear GS724TPv2, I own a GS724Tv3 and I was happy with it.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time.

Edited by itGeeks

schoondoggy

Yes, I know I post this way too often, but I think it is a great deal, if you can deal with the noise of an enterprise switch. 48 ports 1Gb POE and 4 ports 10Gb SFP+, used with a lifetime warranty $150 free shipping:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S2500-48T-4x10G-10-100-1000BASE-T-4x1000BASE-X-10GBASE-X-KMJ/232504836333?hash=item36225e40ed:g:l0cAAOSw-o1ZzUuR

itGeeks

Geeez Louis, Schoon What are you doing to me? I would have to get a bigger cabinet and add sound proofing LOL :D

All kidding aside, I want to get PoE+ aka future proofing this new network at my daughters new house.

schoondoggy

It's POE+, but it is fairly loud.

snapper
2 hours ago, itGeeks said:

@snapper

Thanks for the suggestion about the SG300 series, When looking and found this. What do you both think?

I think I may just end up going with the Netgear GS724TPv2, I own a GS724Tv3 and I was happy with it.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time.

I never found anything wrong with the GS724 at my clients site - worked fine with PoE to those that needed it and LACP trunked to the GS748 for those that didn't need PoE.

I just found the user interface a bit clunky and slow thats all. One thing that did irritate me was that if you clicked on a page before it had finished loading fully, some of the tabs would disappear and you needed to force refresh the page to recover. It was a pain when setting up multiple VLANs as made the job much slower than it should have been.

That said, it was just the UI; once configured and running, they never gave any problems.

Unsure about the Netgear but the Cisco has a lifetime hardware warranty, which may be useful to you...

52 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

It's POE+, but it is fairly loud.

Looks a nice switch; wonder if you could swap out the 40mm fans for Noctuas?

Ive done this previously in a Cisco 3560-48 that I had in my lab, worked great.

Not sure I would do it if pulling a lot of PoE though; the Noctuas don't move as much air so may cause overheating.

• Like 1

itGeeks

Netgear is also lifetime.

Thank again everyone for taking the time.