RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for wireless router recommendation

WireBoy

Hey folks- I have a Belkin Pre-N wireless router that has me suspicious. My machines will randomly lose connectivity to my MSS WHS machine. This router is several years old, so I'm considering replacing it. My requirements are 802-11N and a few gigabit hardwire ports. Can anyone offer recommended routers that work well with WHS and MSS? Thanks.

Hello Wireboy

I have a love affair with DLink 655 wireless routers, of all router products that I have owned (and there have been WWWAAAAYYYYY to many) the 655 has been the most stable. BUT if I were buying a new N router today I would make sure that it supported dual bands (2.4 and 5MHz) concurrently. The DIR655 does not.

Before you make the investment you may want to try and figure out why your Belkin is dropping connections. If the router is OK my guess is that a neighbor of yours just set up a 802.11 router and is using the same channel as you are. Try changing the channel on your router to either the first or last offered and test the stability of the connection.

Good luck Steve

I will third the DLink Dir655. It Handels the six computers In my home wonderfully. When I set up my WHS a few weeks ago it was seamless with this router.

I would also highly recommend the D-Link DIR-655. Looks like crude, but works great!

I have used several other brands of routers including Linksys and the D-Link DIR-655 is by far the best.

I purchased the D-Link DIR-615 Draft N a couple months ago and have had NO problems. I had owned a Linksys WRT54G V6 and V8 and both locked up on me all the time. I was always resetting them. Have had very good luck the D-Link

The D-Link DIR-655 is definitely a highly recommended router. I've not see a lot of complaints about it.
I've personally always gone with linksys and been very happy for the most part. I'm currently using a linksys WRT350N, flashed with the DD-WRT firmware and love it. Though I kind wish I had gotten the WRT600N which is basically the same thing plus Wireless A. Heck, the fact that the 350N isn't dualband is the only issue I have with it.

And Jim, the v6 and v8 of the WRT54G(S) lines are crap. I had a v4 and yeah... The first two version were great, but they kept on cutting CPU and RAM to the absolute bare minimum. And apparently since v5, they've been using VxWorks as the os I believe. which I've heard is very unstable to begin with.

I ditto the DIR-655 but without having dual band it is getting long in the tooth. Drashna, you bet the WRT54G v1 and v2 where great when paired with DD-WRT.

I am using (i hate to say it) a Netgear WNDR3300 with dual band since I have some wirelessG still in the house. Has a gigabit router in it and it runs well with DD_WRT but it does not support jumbo frames if you care about that.

I'm a fan of D-Link as well. Although my current one has some funky issues.
With regard to Gigabit, if possible, I always split the wired traffic onto a separate gigabit switch. This offloads the processing of information from the router and also means you don't have to worry about the wired speed or the # of ports when looking for a router. You then just run a simple cable from the switch to the router.
I have the D-Link DGS-2208 and you can find it on Newegg now for $31 after Mail-in-rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

CableDevil, personally I hate messing with jumbo frames. 90% of the time, it makes more trouble than is worth it.