Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Firewall/Router for SMB site to site VPN

Recommended Posts

schoondoggy

Trying to help a local small business setup firewall/router in two locations with VPN site to site. 

They have a very limited budget, under $250 per site.

I was looking at:

Cisco RV320

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/rv320-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/index.html

or

Ubiquiti Enterprise Gateway Router

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

Anyone worked with either/both of these?

Thoughts?

Other recomendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itGeeks

Take a look at the Synology RT2600ac Router, They have a really nice VPN package called VPN Plus. I use this to tunnel into my home and it works great, You will need one Site-To-Site VPN License cost a one time cost of 9.99 per tunnel. You get a free 30 day trial with the router. The router cost 195.00 each Amazon

 

This really is a great router, I now have three of them in service. Its easy to setup and has a nice mobile app.

 

SNB Review, It tied with Netgear for #1 Rank in AS2600 Routers in performance.

Edited by itGeeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itGeeks

Questions,

 

1) what internet speed do they have?

2) How many users at each location?

3) Do they host any services such as email, Website, Ect.?

4) Do they need dual WAN?

5) What are they using for WiFi?

Edited by itGeeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowPeo

I have not tried either, but I have been intrigued by the edge router pro for a while now and was going to get one to try, if you choose it let me know how it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave
On 1/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, schoondoggy said:

Trying to help a local small business setup firewall/router in two locations with VPN site to site. 

They have a very limited budget, under $250 per site.

I was looking at:

Cisco RV320

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/rv320-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/index.html

or

Ubiquiti Enterprise Gateway Router

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

Anyone worked with either/both of these?

Thoughts?

Other recomendations?

 

It's been a long time since I've gone with Cisco but when I did go with them it was for the site to site VPN qualities.  That price is hard to beat.  http://amzn.to/2Ep0CJn . Let us know what you decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yodafett

What is their internet pipe size.  With full firepower features if needed the 5506-x asa will do what you want and give Security and url filtering.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
5 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Questions,

 

1) what internet speed do they have?

2) How many users at each location?

3) Do they host any services such as email, Website, Ect.?

4) Do they need dual WAN?

5) What are they using for WiFi?

1. 10Mb up and 100Mb down at each location

2. Ten employees at the office and five at the warehouse

3. At the office they have their ERP/database. Email is web based. The site to site VPN would be to replicate their storage, printing from the office in the warehouse and possible access to the ERP from the warehouse.

4. No

5. Older Aruba running in IAP mode.  

1 hour ago, yodafett said:

What is their internet pipe size.  With full firepower features if needed the 5506-x asa will do what you want and give Security and url filtering.  

It is beyond their budget, but I really do like the FirePOWER services. This would also offer them better protection and I could get them to start working with a local Cisco VAR. Then I would no longer be their IT guy and that would be a good thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacecake
Trying to help a local small business setup firewall/router in two locations with VPN site to site. 
They have a very limited budget, under $250 per site.
I was looking at:
Cisco RV320
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/rv320-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/index.html
or
Ubiquiti Enterprise Gateway Router
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/
Anyone worked with either/both of these?
Thoughts?
Other recomendations?
Mikrotik rb2011 or CRS line, or if you need good ipsec throughput even 1100x2/1100x4. Maybe outside the budget a bit the last one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itGeeks
20 hours ago, Dave said:

 

It's been a long time since I've gone with Cisco but when I did go with them it was for the site to site VPN qualities.  That price is hard to beat.  http://amzn.to/2Ep0CJn . Let us know what you decide.

Its been a long time for me also, The last Cisco I used was an RV082. I agree the price is hard to beat but I see one thing I don't ike about it already, The firmware upgrade is completely a manual process (That would be a deal breaker for me) Checkout the setup video

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itGeeks
18 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

1. 10Mb up and 100Mb down at each location

2. Ten employees at the office and five at the warehouse

3. At the office they have their ERP/database. Email is web based. The site to site VPN would be to replicate their storage, printing from the office in the warehouse and possible access to the ERP from the warehouse.

4. No

5. Older Aruba running in IAP mode.  

It is beyond their budget, but I really do like the FirePOWER services. This would also offer them better protection and I could get them to start working with a local Cisco VAR. Then I would no longer be their IT guy and that would be a good thing!

Thanks for the info, I should of asked those questions first. So yes the Synology would work great for you, You can also do Geo Blocking to reduce threats from county that don't need access. This works great. You may also be able to use it for wireless, Synology is entering the Mesh party soon, They announced it at Synology 2018 and it will work with the RT2600ac router.

 

Connect Remote Offices with VPN Plus

How to Quickly Deploy a Virtual Office Solution for your Business Using VPN Plus

 

Please let us know what you decide to use...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Project Fi now accepts iPhone!

Sign up with any phone now.



×