RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Acronis True Image 2018 3 Device Pack $30

Ikon-TNG

I have True Image 2015 3-pack. It works, but I find it difficult to configure backups. I do not find the interface at all intuitive. Because of this, I'm trying out Ashampoo's Backup Pro. The interface is enormously easier to use compared to True Image. And, it's on sale for $9.99 for the next 5 days. I cannot recommend it though, as I haven't tried to restore from a backup. My father always told me that a backup that hasn't been tested to ensure it can be restored isn't really a backup. I guess that will be my next task. Anyway, if anyone's interested, it's at https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/shop

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

I have True Image 2015 3-pack. It works, but I find it difficult to configure backups. I do not find the interface at all intuitive. Because of this, I'm trying out Ashampoo's Backup Pro. The interface is enormously easier to use compared to True Image. And, it's on sale for $9.99 for the next 5 days. I cannot recommend it though, as I haven't tried to restore from a backup. My father always told me that a backup that hasn't been tested to ensure it can be restored isn't really a backup. I guess that will be my next task. Anyway, if anyone's interested, it's at https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/shop

You should look at Paragon Backup & Recovery Free:

https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/

or Veeam backup for endpoint free: 

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html 

Ikon-TNG

I downloaded Paragon and will give it a try.

Ikon-TNG

Well, the paragon test didn't go as I expected. I installed it on my Windows 10 Surface Pro and tried to create a backup job. Unfortunately, it couldn't find my Windows 10 server, which is where I wanted to store the backups.

schoondoggy
Well, the paragon test didn't go as I expected. I installed it on my Windows 10 Surface Pro and tried to create a backup job. Unfortunately, it couldn't find my Windows 10 server, which is where I wanted to store the backups.
Do you have a drive mapped to the server on the Surface?

Ikon-TNG

I don't. To be honest I'm not really interested in a system that requires drive mapping.

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, Ikon-TNG said:

I don't. To be honest I'm not really interested in a system that requires drive mapping.

I did not say it was required, it is not, I was asking a question.

I assume when you went to add a network location it did not see your server. If you type in the path \\server\share it will set it up and you do not need to map a drive. You may need to provide login info:

paragon.PNG

Ikon-TNG

Interesting. I did try that, but what I didn't do is provide the actual share name. I just typed in the name of the server and thought it would bring up a list of shares. My bad: my lack of knowledge showing - again. I will have to give that a try. Interesting that Backup Pro does present a list of network shares though.

You seem fairly keen on Paragon. Can I ask why? Do you have experience with Backup Pro that leads you to recommend Paragon over it? Just curious.

schoondoggy
7 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Interesting. I did try that, but what I didn't do is provide the actual share name. I just typed in the name of the server and thought it would bring up a list of shares. My bad: my lack of knowledge showing - again. I will have to give that a try. Interesting that Backup Pro does present a list of network shares though.

You seem fairly keen on Paragon. Can I ask why? Do you have experience with Backup Pro that leads you to recommend Paragon over it? Just curious.

I tried Backup Pro many years ago. If I remember correctly it worked fine, but Ashampoo was always pushing upgrades that cost more money. Paragon has always worked and the free version is free. Initialy Paragon was very difficult to use, but over the years their GUI and Wizards have come a long way.