RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Server Guru's

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am thinking about buying a T430 dual socket server for my NAS, Plex, and VM needs. The server details are below. Is there anything I should add or remove? Dell's site mentions a lot of options I don't know about. For instance I couldn't select having ESXi 6.5 installed due to the raid options I selected. But it won't let me select no raid.

Intel® Xeon® E5-2630L v4 1.8GHz,25M Cache,8.0GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,10C/20T (55W) Max Mem 2133MHz

16GB RDIMM, 2400MT/s, Dual Rank, x8 Data Width

RAID 1 for S130 Embedded SATA (2 SATA HDDs or SATA SSDs), S130, Software RAID (for Microsoft OS Only)

On-Board Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb LOM

Internal Dual SD Module with 2x 16GB SD Cards (to install ESXi on)

Single, Hot-plug Power Supply (1+0), 1100W

I am waffling a little bit between a true server, an i7 with ESXi, or Synology 1817+.

yodafett

You need to go with the h330 adapter.  The s130 does not have a vm driver for VMware.  

JackoUK
Posted (edited)

'Not-a-server-and-not-a-guru' thinks:

1. Virtualisation and storage are workloads with very different characteristics.

2. A maxed out 1817+ is 4 cores at 2.4GHz and 16GB RAM. Even an 8th Gen 8100 is 4 cores at 3.6GHz and memory up to 64GB. An 8700 is even better.

3.  I am starting to like the ASROCK Fatal1ty Pro Gaming I7 motherboard: 8 SATA ports, onboard 10GbE AND Thunderbolt AIC.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7/index.asp

Add a good 8-port RAID card and boom.

4. How much is a maxed out 1817+ with 16GB and 10GbE going to cost? Could you even go to i9 with

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9/index.us.asp

Now we are talking expansion potential!

5. And how much is that maxed out DELL going to cost? And those XEON's are only 2GHz.

Edited by JackoUK

ImTheTypeOfGuy

'Not-a-server-and-not-a-guru' thinks:

1. Virtualisation and storage are workloads with very different characteristics.
2. A maxed out 1817+ is 4 cores at 2.4GHz and 16GB RAM. Even an 8th Gen 8100 is 4 cores at 3.6GHz and memory up to 64GB. An 8700 is even better.
3.  I am starting to like the ASROCK Fatal1ty Pro Gaming I7 motherboard: 8 SATA ports, onboard 10GbE AND Thunderbolt AIC.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7/index.asp
Add a good 8-port RAID card and boom.
4. How much is a maxed out 1817+ with 16GB and 10GbE going to cost? Could you even go to i9 with
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9/index.us.asp
Now we are talking expansion potential!
5. And how much is that maxed out DELL going to cost? And those XEON's are only 2GHz.

After posting I started to have similar thoughts. I have been looking at those MB's. Trying to find one without the wireless connection and with an HDMI port (gpu's are expensive). So now I am considering pre-built (see below). I am usually a pretty decisive guy but I have been struggling to figure out what I want to do. My preference is Synology but I can't stomach the horrible hardware they use. Given their prices the hardware should be at least an i5.

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXiVR8160A Gaming PC (Intel i7-8700K 3.7GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 240GB SSD+2TB HDD & Win10 Home) Black

I already have a spare rocketraid card.

JackoUK

Nah.

- no 10GbE

- no Thunderbolt

- only 4 disk bays

A third of the money went on that GTX 1070 ... which wasn't one of your requirements.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Unfortunately I got busy and have not been able to look at this.  Now I think I have decided to buy a new desktop and use my old desktop to build a XPEnology rig.  I don't need it for plex anymore because I bought a nighthawk router with plex.  I am looking at a dell desktop with the specs below for $1670.00.  Anybody know of other options for the this level of gear with better pricing.  I don't need monitors, I already have two IPS.  All help is appreciated.

Processor
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English

Monitor
If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately

Memory
16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)

Chassis Options
XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)

Hard Drive
512GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Memory

CD ROM/DVD ROM
Tray Load BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)

Sound
Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro

Wireless
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1

Keyboard
Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black

Mouse
6 Button Laser Mouse

JackoUK

Nice workstation at the price, given the current GPU costs.

More detailed exposition ant ...

Dave

Do you have to have that GPU?  If you cost this out via NewEgg what is it?  I dunno, seems expensive to me but I wouldn't judge it until I built it in a parts list.  

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Nice workstation at the price, given the current GPU costs.

More detailed exposition ant ...

Thanks for the link. A lot of good info there. I would like to buy two PC's but I prefer to not drop $4,000 at once. I wish I could allow myself to buy two lower cost i3 systems but that doesn't fit my personality and would cause anxiety. :) 

Do you have to have that GPU?  If you cost this out via NewEgg what is it?  I dunno, seems expensive to me but I wouldn't judge it until I built it in a parts list.  

Yes the GPU is required because I run two monitors. Purchasing as a self build from newegg would be closer to $2,100 due to the GPU cost.