RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Error

steveowens

All - Wondering if anyone else has seen this error...

5278418156_46fde59cae_b_d.jpg

Realize that my backups of this PC have been failing for a while. This is a HP Slimline S3321P PC backing up to my EX470. The details in the Event Viewer don't help me much, just points to an issue with the nvstor32 file.

Ideas?

Steve

diehard - I uninstalled the connector from the PC, removed it the PC from WHS, reinstalled the connector. Same result, failed at 52% with the same errors in the Event Viewer.

dvn - How would I verify that I have the latest or how do I roll back to a MS driver?

Look in Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > and look for something with Nvidia in the name. Open properties box, go to Drivers tabs and click details.

Honestly, I don't know if nvstor is a stand alone driver that you can download from Nvidia or not, but I rather suspect it's part of a chipset driver pack. Looking around, I'm seeing a lot of posts about problems centered around the nvstor driver. From past experience with Nvidia-based mobos, I've always understood that one doesn't have to use Nvidia storage drivers, that the MS drivers work just as well and are more stable. To get back to an MS driver, I believe all you have to do Uninstall the current driver. (Look below the Driver Details button.) After reboot, go back into Device Manager and verify that the MS driver is in use. I done this before, a few times, and it was never a problem. I believe you'll see a popup showing that the system has discovered and is installing a new device.

dvn - Thanks. I found the nvstor driver under Storage Contollers and was able click Rollback Driver. Rebooted and ran backup. It threw an error again but this time it gave the direction to run a chkdsk. Ran the chkdsk and the Backup is working now. Thanks for your help.

Steve

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier or I would have pointed you towards chkdsk. Had this error several times in the past. Usually when I get an error backing up a client machine it will be the first action I take because of the accuracy of the ever useful windoze error messages:)