RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ShadowPeo

New Work Project

ShadowPeo
On 1/28/2018 at 3:14 AM, Ikon-TNG said:

Thanks. It's nice to see that at least some school boards have enough money to invest in technology.

We kind of do, to get the new equipment we have foisted the cost of the devices to the parents via a two-phase model. We have a "portal" device that comes from a major supplier that we have a relationship with, and they have three models that we have vetted and we manage (no admin rights are given out) that come with many thousands of dollars worth of software whilst they are at the school as we put them into the school licencing, we offer full support for it and manage warranty repairs, loan machines when yours in for repair etc. You can also bring a Windows 10 device and it must have AC wireless of your choice, but you get no support, no help, no software, you send your laptop away for repair, it takes 6 weeks that's your issue no loan machine provided etc. We also have a mandated minimum for devices/students which is 1 device per 4 students which we maintain for those who take neither option, when we get the occasional grant we will take the money buy X devices and give them to the students who have financial hardships, but they are given those under the deal that they do not discuss where they came from, as far as the students and the others in the school are concerned the family purchased it, that way we do not get families calling poor when they are not. For example, there are some families that call poor and apply for all the grants offered but go overseas 2-3 times a year, the area that this school is in an extremely high Socio-Economic area where the median house price would be about 1.2 Mil.

By doing this we have been able to redirect what funds we do have away from devices, and into the support infrastructure, and therefore are able to support more devices, better internet connection etc

What is interesting is the disparity with one suburb over where I also have an education client and there is no way they could do it the same way, nor have they got the cash to invest in the infrastructure, and what they have will fall over sooner rather than later, nothing I can do about it without the resources to fix the problems. They have done the core work, but for example we physically do not have the switchports to connect more WAP's so I have about 8000$ worth of Cisco WAP's sitting in  a box that I cannot use

Edited by ShadowPeo

Ikon-TNG

Ah, so it's the classic story of a well-to-do school district being able to afford the really good stuff while a poorer district has to make do with what they can afford. Nothing really new there. And, while it could be argued the well-to-do district has an unfair advantage, it could also be argued that students in the more affluent district shouldn't have to be penalized just because they're families are better off.

It's a very interesting program though. Thanks for sharing the info.

ShadowPeo

The schools receive the same funding per student, its simply a matter of size, the larger school has more students, therefore more cash. Interestingly the poorer school actually has more parents wanting the supported model that the wealthier school has, but it is not suitable for their current implementation, infrastructure or ability (cost to provide) support. For example as a contractor/consultant if I turn up I get paid, fair enough but I already have to much work so I cannot do more hours, nor would they want the bill for said hours. The local tech they have there is a monkey, no more, no less (pay peanuts, get monkey's situation) whereas I can get let's use imaging for an example here, I can do about 80 or 90 laptops in the time it will take him to do 10-20, same processes that both of us have to go through to do it, I am just faster and more efficient about it, not trying to toot my own horn just trying to put the support levels in context, may pay him less but get much less work out of him for a greater fraction of time. Having said that, there are a couple of the "monkeys" around that I have met that I would happily pass work to, but being state education, we cannot get rid of one monkey to get a better monkey

Ikon-TNG

So it's simply a matter of scale. I was thinking there might be an element of more well-to-do parents making contributions to the school board in their area so that, even though all schools get the same $ per student, the extra contributions actually have more money. One way I've seen that done is similar to what you described: a school or board wants to provide students with something particular, say good laptops, but doesn't have a budget for them. So, they put out a proposal to parents to pay for the computers. If enough parents agree, the implement to idea. Parents in less-well-to-do areas can't afford to do it, so any such proposal doesn't get the required support.