RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dude1922@outlook.com

B120i RAID 1 Logical drive failing inexplicably

dude1922@outlook.com

I have microserver gen8 with two HGST deskstar 6TB HDD in RAID 1 for all data storage and client backup, plus Crucial 120GB SSD for WHS 2011. Also I have applied the latest SPP (P01456_001_spp-2017.10.1-SPP2017101.2017_1027.10)

Everything has been working just fine for past year, but recently the server just decides that logical drive for the RAID 1 with 6TB drives is failing at seemingly random times. Powering off and restarting the server fixes it, but a few days later it fails again.

I did move all data from the 6TB data drives to other drives I have and then proceeded to change the server to ACHI mode and run a battery of tests on each of the 6TB HDD, including full reformatting, using both Seagate's Seatools and HGST's WinDFT (windows drive fitness). No issues were found after testing them for days.

Since then I switched the server back to RAID mode, rebuilt the RAID 1 array, enabled Bitlocker in the entire drive. Nothing failed during that time, but later one during client back the logical drive failed again. I can't find any clue what can be the problem. I don't believe the HGST HDD are the problem since they passed the battery of tests.

What could this be?

schoondoggy

Have you checked the log files in SSA to see if there are errors showing?

dude1922@outlook.com

There is a lot of information there in the logs. It just happened today past 5AM, here are the logs during that time period. It looks like the controller sees the HHD as unplugged, but that doesn't make sense.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Cissesrv
Date:          1/21/2018 5:32:19 AM
Event ID:      24582
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 3 was inserted. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 3I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Event ID:      24595
Level:         Error
Computer:      HPSERVER
Description:
A drive failure notification has been received for the SATA physical drive located in bay 3.  This drive can be found in box 0 which is connected to port 3I of the array controller B120i [Embedded].  The failure reason received from the HP Smart Array firmware is: REMOVED_IN_HOT_PLUG.

Event Xml:
Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 3 was removed. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 3I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Date:          1/21/2018 5:19:49 AM
Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 4 was inserted. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 4I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Event ID:      24601
Description:
Logical drive 2 configured on array controller B120i [Embedded] is in a failed state but has had one or  more drive replacements and is now ready to change to a status of "OK".  However, this status change will not occur until the logical drive is re-enabled. Please re-enable the logical drive via the HP Array Configuration Utility, HP Smart Storage Administrator or by rebooting the system.

Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 3 was inserted. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 3I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Date:          1/21/2018 5:19:48 AM
Event ID:      24600
Description:
Logical drive 2 of array controller B120i [Embedded] has encountered a status change from: 
to 

Description:
A drive failure notification has been received for the SATA physical drive located in bay 4.  This drive can be found in box 0 which is connected to port 4I of the array controller B120i [Embedded].  The failure reason received from the HP Smart Array firmware is: REMOVED_IN_HOT_PLUG.

Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 4 was removed. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 4I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Event ID:      24605
Level:         Warning
Description:
Due to an unrecoverable write error, the recovery of logical drive 2 configured on array controller B120i [Embedded] was  aborted while rebuilding a physical drive. 
The physical drive which was being rebuilt is located in bay 0 of box 0 which is connected to port ?? of  array controller B120i [Embedded] .
The physical drive that reported the write error is located in bay 0 of box 0 which is connected to  port ?? of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Event ID:      24598
Description:
Logical drive 2 of array controller B120i [Embedded] has encountered a status change from: 
to 

Description:
A drive failure notification has been received for the SATA physical drive located in bay 3.  This drive can be found in box 0 which is connected to port 3I of the array controller B120i [Embedded].  The failure reason received from the HP Smart Array firmware is: REMOVED_IN_HOT_PLUG.

Description:
A SATA physical drive located in bay 3 was removed. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached  to port 3I of array controller B120i [Embedded].

Description:
to 

Description:
to 

Description:

Date:          1/21/2018 5:19:18 AM
Description:
to 

Description:

Description:

schoondoggy

Have you checked the power and data cables? Is the failing drive always in the same slot?

dude1922@outlook.com

I tried HDDs first on slots 1 and 2 (SSD on slot 4) for about a week, then moved them to slots 3 and 4.(SSD on slot 1) for another week. Same results in both arrangements. Note during all this time I had no failures with SSD.

Right now I am running in ACHI mode and putting everything in in one 6TB drive, and using the other 6TB as daily backup for the first. It is not ideal setup by I hope it keeps going without failures.

dude1922@outlook.com

Last night HDD failed also in ACHI mode during backup of one of PCs with 2TB of data. I am puzzled on why testing HDDs using seatools and windft running for days time don't detect any failure. 

schoondoggy

What slot was the drive in? Have you checked the SATA cable connection at the motherboard? I have seen several cases where a bit of stress on the cable connection at the motherboard causes a drive to lose connection. When troubleshooting problems like this it can be helpful to keep track of which drive is failing and which slot is failing.

• Like 1

dude1922@outlook.com

I finally got to the bottom of this problem. I had 1-to-3 power splitter cable in between the PSU and the drive cage. I had this splitter so I could power additional hard drive in the cdrom space. I removed the splitter cable and for the past 3 weeks it has been running reliably.

Thanks schoondoggy for the guidance, it really helped me here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dvampoul
On 2/26/2018 at 8:49 PM, dude1922@outlook.com said:

I finally got to the bottom of this problem. I had 1-to-3 power splitter cable in between the PSU and the drive cage. I had this splitter so I could power additional hard drive in the cdrom space. I removed the splitter cable and for the past 3 weeks it has been running reliably.

Thanks schoondoggy for the guidance, it really helped me here.

I Had the same problem after adding a PSU Splitter.

I had up to 40+ hours of troubleshooting, Formating Disks, Nuke Disks, Changing Array settings, Scrubbing RAID metadata DoD bla bla bla and the problem was the mentioned one!!!

Thanks!