RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote access

Paul

Hi there,

I need to store files on my home server and access them from my home network but also from other remote locations (various operating systems).

How is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Hi there,

I need to store files on my home server and access them from my home network but also from other remote locations (various operating systems).

How is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Have you configured the remote access features in WHS yet?

I have, but when I type in the web address - it won't connect

OK - I got it to work by configuring ports 80, 443 & 4125 to my servers static ip

However, when i connect remotely and edit a file in a shared folder, I cannot save it - permissions problem.

Permissions are set to full.

I can save the file, then upload it and overwrite.

Is this something you just can't do with WHS remotely - edit a file and then save directly?

Only certain user accounts will have remote access so make sure you have enabled that feature. If the folders in question are custom created folders you will need to set two permissions, Sharing and Security.

Sharing Permissions should be set to Full and preferably "Authenticated Users" and not everyone. Security Permissions are set to Read by Default by Non-Admin Accounts. Make sure you have the appropriate security permissions set and remember that a "Deny" trumps all. Don't use it unless it is needed.