RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ikon-TNG

Windows 10 NIC teaming

Ikon-TNG

Ah, I see you answered my question about 'make/model'. So, I had an Intel CT Gigabit Desktop adapter lying around. Installed it into my desktop. It works to the server with 9K JF. So that answers that question. I think I have another Intel CT NIC in stock. Maybe I should install it in the server.

Hah. Just had a look in one of my spare parts boxes. I found 2 intel NICs: a Pro/1000 XT, and a Pro/1000 GT Quad Port. I never knew what to do with them because they have really long connector fingers. I just looked them up and it seems they are PCI-X boards. The Pro/1000 XT seems older, as it only supports PCI-X v1.0, whereas the Pro/1000 GT supports PCI-X 2.2. I get the impression they can be used in regular PCI slots, only they would run in 32 bit mode, but I could be totally off base about that.

It also seems they are compatible with Windows 10.

Edited by Ikon-TNG

itGeeks

Whenever a system is going to be used as a server always try and use a Intel NIC, Not to sound snarky there is a reason server manufactures in most cases stick to Intel. You will have the least amount of problems... I cringe when I see a Realtek NIC in a system...

Edited by itGeeks

Ikon-TNG

Don't forget, the server doesn't have a Realtek; it's a Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit NIC. I'm not sure how they stack up against others, but the mother board is a fairly high end one: a Sapphire PureBlack X58, so maybe Sapphire put in a better NIC than usual.

What's your opinion on the Intel Pro/1000 GT Quad port? Do you think it's worth testing it out?

itGeeks

I have a few of the duel port Intel Pro 1000 in service since 2012 and they work really well, Found here

Ikon-TNG

I see your card is PCIe, whereas mine is PCI-X. Not sure what difference that makes.

ShadowPeo
On 2/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, Ikon-TNG said:

I see your card is PCIe, whereas mine is PCI-X. Not sure what difference that makes.

Do be aware these are when the acronyms are used correctly totally different devices, PCI-E is the modern PCI standard meaning PCI-Express. PCI-X is a 64Bit implementation of the older more common 32Bit PCI slots which was common in servers for NIC's HBA's, and RAID Cards

Ikon-TNG

Thanks. I did notice that when I saw side-by-side photos of the 2 different slot types.

Ikon-TNG

@itGeeks, I've been meaning to get back to you on this. Since ensuring the HDDs on the server are not allowed to be powered down, response from the server has been very much improved. I really haven't had to do anything else. It does makes things easier and more pleasurable.

#slow server #powerdown #HDD

Ikon-TNG

I had another network issue today with my main Windows 10 desktop; it wouldn't see the other computers on the network. I search the net for a couple of hours and finally found a tip that seems to have worked.

One guy posted that his SAMBA server had network browsing issues until he checked and found the computer had 2 IP addresses for its NIC. He deleted the one that didn't apply to his LAN and everything started working.

I checked mine and I, too, had to IPs. Then I recalled I had used some notes from my father to set up a second IP address so I could work on a picture frame that's normally at my mother's condo. I'd forgotten about it. I deleted the extra IP, and everything is working, even faster than before.

#network #NIC #IP #addresses

itGeeks

Glad you got it sorted but I am a bit confused, What was the purpose of the two IP's? I know you said to manage your mothers PF but why was that needed? What kind of picture frame make/model is it? I manage a hand full of digital picture frames for family and I never had to set a second IP to manage them so I am just wondering what you have going on...

Edited by itGeeks