RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ikon-TNG

Windows 10 NIC teaming

Ikon-TNG

many thanks @Poppapete; that video was really helpful. If I understood it correctly, teaming wouldn't really help me at all because I rarely have more than 1 computer sending any significant amount of data to my server: usually, it's my Windows 10 desktop, or my HTPC, but they're hardly in use at the same time.

I did see one scenario where I might benefit: the narrator talked about Static Teaming (802.3ad). I believe my switch supports it. However, everything I've seen says Windows 10 doesn't, so I guess I'm still out of luck.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for cheaper multi-gigabit hardware. :)

JackoUK

My understanding (= I haven't tested) is that from Windows 8 onwards non-server editions of the OS have SMB multichannel. Not quite teaming ... but maybe providing the bandwidth and automatic failover you require:.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2012/06/28/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0/

My reading of the post is:

- maybe consumer NIC's don't have RSS (I haven't checked)

- but if you connect 2 NIC's then you get twice the bandwidth automatically

- since the requirements section says "2 PC's running Windows 8" then the SMSB MC feature is standard on non-server versions

- true teaming is a server-only feature

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

For home use I'm beginning to think Thunderbolt (TB) may be the networking solution ...

... its virtue being connection via daisy-chaining i.e. no expensive switch.

When I come to replace the 2 oldest of my 4 HP Microservers (4-5 yo) and my workstation (6-7 yo) I am thinking of building a workstation with 8 disks and TB and a data server with 8 disks and TB.

The only requirement I have for 40Gb networking is data backup: any DSD audio file (2GB) or 4K film (8GB) doesn't have to be played fast ... it can simply be streamed. For example streaming a CD audio file is only a 1Mbs transfer which even the cheapest tablet can manage.

Edited by JackoUK

ShadowPeo

MFFFT 40GB Thunderbolt, I will raise you my 80GB teamed links QSFP all the way, J/K I only use that for the switch interconnects for the core, would be fun to connect it to a server though but I doubt even an SSD RAID could touch that.

Honestly, 10GBE at this point in time should be adequate for 99.9% of things as the throughput is in most situations not there to saturate it. when we are talking NVMe or OPTANE RAID's then we shall see it start to get saturated. As I said I only use QSFP and the 80GB links (2x trunked 40GBE) are only really used for core switching. the 20GBE (2x10GBE) links I use for the distribution points barely hit 10% most of the time and I have never hit seen them hit more than 25% except during testing when they are hammered by a couple of machines that can output the required bandwidth to saturate them

Oh and if you are looking for more bandwidth and the devices can handle it, start with Jumbo Packets, although in my experience find the lowest possible number for the jumbo packets supported by all devices and then reduce it by 10% I have had issues where when utilising the max jumbo packet size the connections became unstable and unreliable

Edited by ShadowPeo

schoondoggy
On 1/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, Ikon-TNG said:

many thanks @Poppapete; that video was really helpful. If I understood it correctly, teaming wouldn't really help me at all because I rarely have more than 1 computer sending any significant amount of data to my server: usually, it's my Windows 10 desktop, or my HTPC, but they're hardly in use at the same time.

I did see one scenario where I might benefit: the narrator talked about Static Teaming (802.3ad). I believe my switch supports it. However, everything I've seen says Windows 10 doesn't, so I guess I'm still out of luck.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for cheaper multi-gigabit hardware. :)

10GbE has gotten to be quite affordable for certain applications. Are you sure the 1GbE pipe is the issue? What type of traffic issues are you having?

itGeeks
On 1/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, Ikon-TNG said:

Wow, a lot of disagreement on the Internet about whether Windows 10 can do teaming/?link aggregation? I'm confused.

At one point I know Windows 10 could not, However NIC manufacturers such as Intel had to provide the drivers then it would work. I don't know if that's changed... What problem are you trying to solve?

Ikon-TNG
21 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

10GbE has gotten to be quite affordable for certain applications. Are you sure the 1GbE pipe is the issue? What type of traffic issues are you having?

One issue I'm having is, sometimes, slow server response. I've had this for a while, even before setting up the new Win10 Server. In fact, it's one of the reasons for setting up a new server: I hoped performance would improve.

Sometimes I will get alerts that the server cannot be found or is not responding. From my online searching I thought it might be related somehow to the Master Browser. However, I just now checked again: the Win10 server is the master, so I don't know what the problem is. It is annoying though :)

itGeeks

What are you running on Windows 10 server? Is it by any chance going to sleep? Using it as a server first thing I would do is select the "Performance" power plan and make sure its set to never go to sleep and make sure the hard drives are not set to power down. Short of that what are you using for a switch & router?

Edited by itGeeks

Ikon-TNG

Thanks @itGeeks. I do have most of what you recommend, but I just checked the hard drives, and they were set to sleep after 20 minutes. I couldn't change the setting at first, but then I spotted the "change unavailable settings" link and was able to set them to 'never'.

The switch is a Cisco SG200-18. The router is Untangle 13. It's the default gateway and DNS.

itGeeks

No problem. Now some qwestions-

1) What NIC are you using? Make & Model

2) Is the NIC driver up to date?

3) What are you running on this server that's getting slow?

4) What are you using for DNS? ex: Your ISP, Google DNS, OpenDNS. If your using your ISPs may I suggest you change them to Google

DSN1 8.8.8.8

DNS2 8.8.4.4

Riding yourself of your ISP DNS servers may not fix your problem but you could see a performance boost in surfing the internet and others tend to be more reliable then the ISP's

Edited by itGeeks