RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ikon-TNG

Windows 10 NIC teaming

JackoUK

As you've discovered the bandwidth of a single hard disk and 1GbE are closely matched at around 120MBs...

... so if you have a high bandwidth network you need a high bandwidth storage system to take advantage of the former.

Writing data you are currently using on an SSD to long-term storage will be fine with a cache disk on the receiving end ...

... but what about when you want to read a file at random i.e. not a recent file in cache. No problem - you are probably only streaming a piece of music or video ...

... the problem comes when you need to access huge amounts of data (e.g. video editing) or you are performing a wholesale move (e.g. a disk reorganisation). Now the whole storage subsystem has to be fast.

You might be interested in this reference from another thread on 10G networking.

http://www.cinevate.com/dev/confessions-of-a-10-gbe-network-newbie-part-1-basics/

While 10GbE switching is still expensive ... a home user might enter the fray by simply networking 2 machines together with a direct Cat6 cable connection.

Ikon-TNG

Yeah, I did figure out that a cache SSD wasn't going to do much for reading data from the DrivePool pool(s). In those situations I don't really see any other alternative to lots & lots of SSDs. Pricey, but what can you do?