RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
th3_gh0st

Upgrade to Gen10 or replace the B120i?

th3_gh0st

Hi all!

So, running 2 x Gen8's at home as FW and NAS but looking to upgrade the B120i on the NAS to support 6.0Gb/s on all 4 bays.

It's only the NAS that needs upgrading, and therefore I'm asking for advice around the topic.

Cheers

Zero-C001

Hi,

What drives do you use?

schoondoggy

How are your drives configured? What OS is running on the NAS?

th3_gh0st

Right now only 2 drives, one for Ubuntu Server (250GB SSD) and one WD Red 6TB for storage.

Why I want to update it is because of this: "NOTE: HDD bays 1 and 2 support 6.0Gb/s SATA. HDD bays 3 and 4 support 3.0Gb/s SATA."

Need 6Gb/s on all four bays in the near future. :D

And Gen10 is 6Gb/s on all four bays if I read the info right!

scorpi2ok2

maybe a cheap raid controller will help you?

just saying...

th3_gh0st
On 14/01/2018 at 12:34 AM, Zero-C001 said:

If you do not plan to use SSD in the bays, then you will not get any effect from 6.0Gb/s SATA.

For 6.0Gb/s SATA to 4 bays use RAID or HBA (with xeon):

NOTE: * Processor dependent. Xeon is PCIe 3.0. Celeron and Pentium are PCIe 2.0.

Dunno what you have tried earlier, but last I tried with drives in bay 3 & 4 and moved content from disks at bay 1 & 2 the speed was 3Gb/s but moving content from bay 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 the speed is 6Gb/s. So yeah, even with 7200RPM you will see it.

schoondoggy

Top throughput of SATA 2 port is 300MB/s which is well beyond the sustained throughput of SATA 3 drives shipping today. The WD Red 6TB you are using has a sustained transfer rate of 175MB/s. For small files that fit in the cache of the drive, you will see burst of 600MB/s the max for SATA 3. If you are running as a desktop you may notice slight differences due to the cache algorithm prefetching data. In a server transferring large files or streaming data you will see little difference. If you would like to check try running ATTO or Crystal Diskmark on the WD Red while it is in slot 1 or 2 then try 3 or 4.
Back to your original question the SATA controller in the Gen10 is SATA 3 on all four ports, but if I remember correctly there is a limitation on the PCIe bus. You could add a HBA or a controller to your Gen8. Which would depend on how you want to run your drives.

schoondoggy

The MS Gen10 uses the Marvell 88SE9230 which has four SATA 3 ports, but the interface to the chip is PCIe 2.0 x2. So maximum data rate from the chip is 1GB/s, that should be fine with four SATA 3 disk drives, but four SATA 3 SSD's could saturate the bus from the chip, if they were transferring data all at the same time.

scruffters

I've had fine results from the built in ports on a Gen8 and Ubuntu 16.04 + ZFS.

Ideally you run the system in AHCI mode, which might cause boot issues with your SSD connected to the ODD port.

You could also go with something like a 9211-4i with IT-Firmware installed... *Should* boot OK in a gen8, but don't quote me...