ETBrown

Repurposing components for a Cryptocurrency Mining Rig vs Dedicated storage/PLEX Server

ETBrown

I am finally replaced my custom built desktop PC after about 5 years. 

Now that I have a retired computer with a decent pair of video cards I want to dip my toe into cryptocurrency mining.  Although I realize the old equipment won't produce as much per watt as newer graphics cards, I already have 2 HD 7870's that will just collect dust if I don't do something with the system.  There are also a few older components lying around so I've been contemplating repurposing my old computer and components to create computers for the following roles:

1. A dedicated storage server that would also host my Plex media server and backup content locally.  (Yes a NAS box could do this, but I already have PC parts and don't want to spend $1k+ on a NAS box that can accomodate all of my 4TB and 6TB drives).
  2. A cryptocurrency mining rig
  3. A router/firewall replacement

I'm new to mining and know that the mining rig needs graphics cards, but how significant of a difference does the CPU make in a mining rig?  I can either use an Intel Core i7-3770K or an Intel Core i3-3250.  The dilemma is that the i7 should be able to transcode roughly twice the number of simultaneous streams (4) that the i3 can transcode (2+) based on the PassMark scores.  I don't want to mine on the same machine as my Plex server since my previous mining attempt created OS stability problems.

Does memory make a large difference in cryptocurrency mining?  I can either use 32 GB of ram or 16GB of ram.

Lastly, would it be better to combine the storage/Plex server and router/firewall roles into a single computer and run each as a VM?  What do others recommend for this? I've heard about Pfsense and watched a few setup videos, but that appears to be designed to run on a dedicated system.

Thank you in advance to those that have constructive feedback for me.

thanlindley

My opinion would be to use the core i7 and lots of storage and RAM that you have to make a Plex server/storage/transcoder in one box. That much RAM and CPU would be a waste on a mining rig.
If you wanted to check the power supply and have decent graphics cards (Nvidia 1060 and up) the use as little RAM and slower ( low power) CPU to make a mining rig.
My preference is to keep pfsense stand alone although I know others have virtualized it.

Trig0r

From a crypto pov, you can tweak the config of the miner so that it uses some or all of the cores, the 3770K is a smidge faster than my straight 3770 should see ~350H/s on Monero algorithm, obviously, you'll have to see how transcoding goes and tweak accordingly, it'd probably net you ~$2 a day, not sure what the 7870's will do, I suspect >400H/s.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jcollison
      By jcollison
      I have been mining a new coin that hasn't even hit the market yet and is super easy to mine.  Takes very little resources and it a great place to start if you still haven't jumped in yet.  JSE, stands for Java Script Embedded and is trying to be one of those coins you can have people help you mine with when they visit your website.  Being touted as an alternative to ad revenue.

Check it out at https://jsecoin.com/o/?a=21093  That is a referral like and I get 3.5 JSE coin if you sign up. 

Been using it for a couple weeks now.  Let me know if you have any questions.
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The DS3018xs: Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS with optional 10GbE and NVMe SATA SSD supports.  The Plus-series DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+: Designed to meet your intensive daily workloads the Value-series DS418: Featuring optimized 4K online transcoding capability

Synology® Inc. announced the official launch of new product lineup featuring:
      ·         DS3018xs: Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS with optional 10GbE and NVMe SATA SSD supports
      ·         Plus-series DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+: Designed to meet your intensive daily workloads
      ·         Value-series DS418: Featuring optimized 4K online transcoding capability
      To allow for ultra-high performance using SSD cache without occupying internal drive bays, DS3018xs features a PCIe slot, which can be installed with a dual M.2 SATA SSD adapter card (M2D17). DS918+ comes with dedicated dual M.2 NVMe slots at the bottom where you can directly install M.2 NVMe SSDs. DS418 features 10-bit H.265 4K video transcoding, and while supporting the next-generation Btrfs file system in DSM 6.2 official, expected to release in early Q1 next year. Btrfs provides reliable data protection through its cutting-edge self-healing and point-in-time snapshot features.
      DS3018xs, Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS, is compact yet powerful as it features the Intel’s advanced Pentium D1508 dual-core 2.2GHz processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with AES-NI encryption engine; offering scalability of RAM up to 32 GB and storage capacity up to 30 drives with two Synology DX1215. In addition to four Gigabit LAN ports, DS3018xs takes advantage of boosting maximum throughput with an optional 10GbE network interface card, delivering stunning performance at over 2,230 MB/s sequential reading and 265,000 sequential read IOPS.
      DS918+ and DS718+ are powered by Intel‘s Celeron® J3455 quad-core processor. DS218+ is powered by Intel’s Celeron® J3355 dual core processor. Both models are equipped with AES-NI hardware encryption engine and support up to two channels of H.265/H.264 4K video transcoding.DS918+’s RAM is scalable up to 8GB, while DS718+ and DS218+ are scalable up to 6 GB, allowing you to operate more intensive tasks at once. DS918+ and DS718+ are equipped with two LAN ports, and their storage capacity can be scaled up to 9 and 7 drives, respectively, with Synology’s DX517 expansion unit.
      "Responding to the demands from our customers, DS3018xs is built as a comprehensive business-ready desktop NAS. Running mission-critical applications or planning virtualization deployment with DS3018xs has never been easier." said Katarina Shao, Product Manager at Synology Inc. "The new DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+ are optimized to be your digital video libraries, and will bring you an excellent viewing experience with high definition live video transcoding, regardless of device limitations."
      DS418 is equipped with a 1.4GHz quad-core processor with hardware encryption engine, 2 GB RAM, and two LAN ports. Powered by the hardware transcoding engine, DS418 supports H.265 4K transcoding allowing it to serve as your media library. Combined with Btrfs and Snapshot supports, DS418 is delivers more efficient data storage and more reliable data protection.
      For more information on DS3018xs, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS3018xs
      For more information on DS918+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS918+
      For more information on DS718+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS718+
      For more information on DS218+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS218+
      For more information on DS418, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS418
      Synology at a glance
      Synology creates network-attached storage, IP surveillance solutions, and network equipment that transform the way users manage data, conduct surveillance, and manage networks in the cloud era. By taking full advantage of the latest technologies, Synologyaims to help users centralize data storage and backup, share files on-the-go, implement professional surveillance solutions, and manage networks in reliable and affordable ways. Synology is committed to delivering products with forward-thinking features and the best in class customer services.
    • jcollison
      By jcollison
      It's never too early to think about Tax time.  Just to get it on your radar.  https://cointelegraph.com/news/cryptocurrency-tax-tips-until-tax-relief-passes-expert-blog
    • cskenney
      By cskenney
      I am starting this post to help others out a little bit with what I have been doing with my GTX 1060 card and mining.

My card is a ASUS PH-GTX1060-3G that I bought off of Amazon for $215.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072172ZDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is advertised with a based clock of 1506 Mhz.

I loaded ASUS GPU Tweak II on my Windows 10 PC to adjust the GPU.  Current I am using the following settings.

GPU Bosst Clock (Mhz): maxed out at +170 (1878 Mhz)
      GPU voltage (%): +0 which is the stock setting
      Memory Clock (Mhz): +800 (8808 Mhz)
      Fan Speed (%): Auto
      Power Target (%): maxed out +16 (116%)
      GPU Temp Target (C): increased to +9 (92°C)
      Frame Rate Target (FPS): no change
      I have no idea if these settings are optimal or not.  They are just what I have tried.
      My actual GPU temperature hovers right around 78-80°C and the fan is only running about 55% most of the time in auto mode.
      Power Target Status is running about 99% but will go up to 118% on occasion.

I am running NiceHash and it selects which algorithm to run.

My system power draw is right around 165-175 watts (depends again on the algorithm).

The Dailey estimated earnings vary between about $0.80 for the low to an average around $1.00 to $1.30 and highs have been seen around $1.50 for short bursts.

My system has been running now for about 14 days and has used ~58.4 kwh of energy at $0.1166 / kwh ($6.81 in electricity) to mine $15.57 of BTC.  I am netting about 56% of my gross income from mining.  Not a bad margin.  Of course I still have to cover the cost of the video card.  

Your mileage may vary but this should give you an idea of what my system is doing.  If you have suggestions for improving the hash rate by adjusting this GPU feel free to suggest changes.

• jcollison
      By jcollison
      Complete UI rewrite with a lot of improvements Updated excavator v1.3.3 alpha Added algorithm Keccak for Nvidia Cards Fixed race condition when starting mining Improved connection reliability to Excavator Added FAQ browser Added "ENABLED" and "BENCHED" counts in Hardware Details Better Demo mode support Removed Daggerhashimoto algorithms for 3gb cards Various bug fixes and improvements