ImTheTypeOfGuy

Windows 10 Home Download

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Does anyone know where I can get a download of W10 home for testing? I have been looking and haven't had any luck. I want to created a W10 VM so I can do some testing with DrivePool.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

itGeeks

To add to what schoon said, As of a few months ago you could still use a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 key to activate Windows 10. I don't know if that's changed now. Also you can use Windows and Office ISO downloader tool from HeiDoc.net This will allow you to download every version on Windows from 7-10 and every version of Office from 2007-2016. This is NOT pirated software, These are the real Microsoft ISO that still need activation keys to activate but as Schoon said they will all run in trial mode for a bit of time before you need to activate.

Edited by itGeeks

Ikon-TNG
2 hours ago, itGeeks said:

To add to what schoon said, As of a few months ago you could still use a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 key to activate Windows 10. I don't know if that's changed now. Also you can use Windows and Office ISO downloader tool from HeiDoc.net This will allow you to download every version on Windows from 7-10 and every version of Office from 2007-2016. This is NOT pirated software, These are the real Microsoft ISO that still need activation keys to activate but as Schoon said they will all run in trial mode for a bit of time before you need to activate.

Thanks for this. I had no idea you could do this.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The link in the article schoondoggy provided is what I was using. Unfortunately when I try to load the image in my VM I get a failure. It indicates the pc ran into a problem and will restart. Also says go to windows.com/stopcode for a possible fix, which I have done.

I then tried the download from heidoc.net. It is a different image so I tried to load it but received the same results as above. So I must have an issue with the hyper-v role on my s2008r2 box???? Well, maybe not because I can load W7 without any problems.

Thanks for the links guys.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy
22 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I hoped this was the issue but I already had that update installed. It is weird though because the described behavior is exactly what I am seeing. More research needed.

I may have bigger issues though. During a reboot of the server it didn't restart. I found that it indicated there was no boot drive. I have four drives attached to the server SATA ports: port 1 is the boot drive, port 2 is the optical drive, port 3 is a 2 TB drive, and port 4 is another 2 TB drive. Long story short, the only way I can get the server to boot into windows now is by moving my boot drive to port 3 and disconnecting the two 2 TB drives. Thus I thought port 1 must have died. But it hadn't because I can connect one of the 2 TB drives and it is seen in the BIOS. Anyone ever see anything like this?

itGeeks

It almost sounds to me that something is wrong with the Bios settings, Have you checked the Bios? Look under hardware and boot settings to make sure everything looks in order. I would also suggest at this time you check to see if there a Bios updates from the motherboard manufactures website and install them, Then reset the Bios back to factory defaults, reboot and go back in and and make sure everything is setup correctly. Just food for thought, When you moved the boot drive to SATA 3 did you also move the SATA cable? It could also be a bad cable.

Another thing you should try is put the OS drive back on SATA 1 and bring up the boot menu when the system is starting and see if the drive is listed, if it is select it and see if the system boots. If it does then at least you no all the hardware is OK. If you don't know how to bring up the boot menu you will need to look it up because its not a standard key, It could be anything from F1-F12 and I have also seen the delete key used in the past. What is the make and model of the system?

Edited by itGeeks

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I looked at the BIOS, which is how I was able to see all the sata port issues I described.

I used the same sata cable initially when moveing to port 3 and it worked fine so it isn't the cable. However I still replaced all the cables and received the same results. As I described, it will boot into windows from port 3 and no other sata ports connected. If I leave my OS drive on port 3 but add a data drive to any other port, it will no longer boot into the OS. If I put my OS drive on port 1 then it will not boot. The only port the OS drive can be on and boot into windows is port 3 and no other drives can be connected to the other ports. Very strange behavior. The motherboard is an ASUS P6T SE. I have not checked firmware because it was working before just fine. So I doubt that is the issue but I will definitely check into it. Also, perusing the BIOS everything looks as you would expect. The behavior is just strange.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have everything working again. Ended up clearing CMOS and things began working as before.

Now back to a W10 VM. I decided to remove the hyper-v role and then add it back. Hopefully it will resolve the issue.