RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Communication Problem with Backup

brwd09

I have a home build home server. I have a home build desk top and an Asus AspireOne netbook. Both computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium. The home server is backing up the desktop just fine. However,the netbook is not backing up at all. The automatic backups are not being done, and when I try to start a manual backup I get the message that a backup is starting, and then an error message a second or two after that indicating that communication to the server was lost. Can anyone telle what might be going wrong and how to resolve the problem?

I am able to access the internet, the WHS console and the shares from this computer via both wireless and wired network, so I beleive that networking is configured right. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Dan Brown

Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. Have you had any luck? Among other things, it could be a wireless problem. Have you attempted a backup while wired? Have you ever been able to back up this netbook, wired or wireless?

Ping the server and make sure you are getting a good signal (4 replies). Since you have no valid backups to date, remove the client from the server and reinstall the connector software and start over again. Try to do this from a wired connection to begin with.

• 1 month later...

Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. Have you had any luck? Among other things, it could be a wireless problem. Have you attempted a backup while wired? Have you ever been able to back up this netbook, wired or wireless?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry that I have not responded in so long. I still have not been able to successfully back up this netbook. I have been able to get past the issue that I had here where it would try to back up, but it does not complete.

Now i have a much bigger problem however. I just posted a new question which I need to resolve before I try tackling this problem. Please check out that other post and see if you can help me with it.

Ping the server and make sure you are getting a good signal (4 replies). Since you have no valid backups to date, remove the client from the server and reinstall the connector software and start over again. Try to do this from a wired connection to begin with.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry that I have not responded in so long. I still have not been able to successfully back up this netbook. I have been able to get past the issue that I had here where it would try to back up, but it does not complete.

Now i have a much bigger problem however. I just posted a new question which I need to resolve before I try tackling this problem. Please check out that other post and see if you can help me with it.