RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
edsnider

Getting into HomeKit

GavinCampbell
On 1/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, Ikon-TNG said:

Question: do all these 'home automation' systems require that the system have Internet access, or can they operate stand-alone?

SmartThings is mainly cloud based.  They added some code for local processing but it is very restricted to the device that you want to control.  The majority is still cloud based.

HomeKit needs internet for remote access if you have a hub but control is local.

It also depends on the device and your setup.  Some devices that people integrate require internet access to work while others don't.  You have to look at the devices you choose as well.

Its a mess out there.

GavinCampbell

I started just over a year ago making my place smart home.

First off I went with the HomeKit route.  We all have iPhones and Siri control was a great thing.  However after jumping into it I found the devices expensive and also lacking (this is bound to change this year though).  I ended up setting up a homebridge server to add non homekit devices (harmony hub, network presence detection wemo devices etc) to my setup and then started writing plugins to integrate things such as my blinds and whole home airplay audio into it.  This worked great.  But I wanted to start adding zwave and zigbee devices into the mix and found the easiest/cheapest way at the time was to get a SmartThings hub and bridge it into HomeKit via homebridge.  Once again this worked great but when starting to add more complex automations I found that I was doing more in SmartThings and less in HomeKit as it was much more powerful.

So I restructured my setup.

My current setup is all based around SmartThings.  All my devices integrate with it and all of my automations and scripts are written in it to control my house.  I still have it integrated into HomeKit so I can control everything with Siri using HomeBridge and it works great.  The key is to name the devices properly so you can easily reference them with Siri and not have to also manage them in the Home app.

I like this setup because it can integrate with Alexa, Google and HomeKit (I'm planning on picking up an Echo) and I'm not tied to any system since the devices work with multiple open systems unlike my HomeKit devices which are pretty useless if I don't use HomeKit.  I also love the power of the scripting with SmartThings.  I use WebCore and it opens up a whole new world.  My home alarm system is all controlled via my setup and auto arms/disarms as we come and go in the house.

For the future, I'm considering looking at Home Assistant.  SmartThings has had a few outages recently and when that has happened the house went nuts.  I'm not a fan of the cloud dependency for the brain of my system.  Home Assistant executes locally.

To sum it up,

HomeKit is nice if you just want to do basic stuff.  Don't think of it as perfect though, you are still going to have issues.  Some of the issues I've seen repeated over the time was automation's not working (homekit hub reset required to fix) devices dropping off and coming back on and messing up automations you have setup, devices not responding in the home app, presence detection not working properly and the more recent issues with not being able to invite people to your homekit setup.

Other setups are more powerful but also require a LOT more work to get it working like how you want it.

SpivR

If you're based or use a desktop Mac, take a look at Indigo Domotics.  Good support of Insteon, Z-Wave, and some Wi-Fi devices.  Extensive configuration and can do scripting with Python.  Lots and lots of 3rd party/community plug-ins so rarely have to write your own scripts (HomeBridge plug-in, etc.)

Only downside is leaving a Mac running (but not dedicated), so if you are running a Plex server, storage, or anything else on a Mac (or tend to leave your Mac on anyway), can be an interesting alternative to the more Geek tools like OpenHAB or others.

Indigo is completely local - no requirement for Internet at all, but does with with Internet for remote access.

Most interesting feature is a GUI designer that lets you create your own custom UI for iPhones and iPads and there is a 3rd party version of some Android UI apps/tools.

There is a basic web interface (so unlike HomeKit, you can control devices from desktops or an web-enabled tablet), and there is a full REST/HTML API for crafting your own UI.

Edited by SpivR

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Great posts guys. If I had the time I would be trying a lot of what you reference. Well, except for that hole mac part.

My primary goal for now is lights but I would love for it to work with my alarm system and garage doors. I want to use Google for voice commands. So that is where my journey begins. But I have been waffling on my file server so I may never get to it. :)

GavinCampbell
16 minutes ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

Great posts guys. If I had the time I would be trying a lot of what you reference. Well, except for that hole mac part.

My primary goal for now is lights but I would love for it to work with my alarm system and garage doors. I want to use Google for voice commands. So that is where my journey begins. But I have been waffling on my file server so I may never get to it. :)

If you want to use google for voice commands don’t use HomeKit. You won’t be able to control the devices with anything other than Siri.  Your best bet would be to look at zigbee or zwave devices that work with other systems.  

For home alarm you you can look into konnected to utilize your current system. But I don’t think it will merge your current system. I think it may take it over. 

For garage door door it’s pretty easy with HomeKit if you just get the myQ and HomeKit bridge if it works with your garage. You can also use myq with other systems but that is a bit more complicated as well to get working nicely. 

I just don’t know why they don’t make this stuff easy. Everyone wants to make their own ecosystem and only have one device in it. 

SpivR

You CAN use Google Home Assistant for voice and HomeKit.  Just choose products that support both.

E.g. Lutron Caseta or Lutron RA2 Select support HomeKit, Google Home, and Alexa - SIMULTANEOUSLY.

GavinCampbell
19 minutes ago, SpivR said:

You CAN use Google Home Assistant for voice and HomeKit.  Just choose products that support both.

E.g. Lutron Caseta or Lutron RA2 Select support HomeKit, Google Home, and Alexa - SIMULTANEOUSLY.

True. Same with the ecobee thermostat as well. WeMo just introduced a HomeKit hub too for their switches. But I think the options are limited. I’m sure we will see a lot more this year though. 

But at this point why even bother with HomeKit then?  Does google does any automation or remote access?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Big Tree
      By Big Tree
      Hey all,

I'm putting together a plan to outfit my home as a smart home.  I want to do this for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I am an electrician and I'd like to make smart technology more a part of my business, as no one in my community does it.  Second, I love smart technology and I want it!  I'm looking for suggestions and tips as to what is going to be the best to not only outfit my home with, but is good to sell in a lower income market (nothing like crestron or control 4). 

I think the essential things to put in to make a home smart would be heating control, lighting control, door control, as well as some control to bring them all together.  Here are my current thoughts, and I'd love to hear what any of you think about these things.

Lighting - Lutron Caseta - I'm a RadioRa2 installer, but I don't have the money to put that into my house, so the next best thing for me is Caseta.  I already have Caseta switches in my home and I love them.  I sell them quite often already and I think Lutron is fantastic.

Heating - Ecobee - I like ecobee in theory because they aren't nest.  Even though I'm a Nest Pro, I just have always liked the look and sound of Ecobee.  Am I completely off my rocker for thinking that?

Door Control - August Lock with Ring Doorbell - Seems like these are the best things out there right now, but this is a category that I know very little about.

Central Control - I use Apple right now, so HomeKit seems to make sense, but I think I'd like to use voice control and so the Echo seems like a good product for that.  Would a Google Home be better?  Again, don't have much knowledge of this section yet.

Finally, I currently have an old Apple router, one of the old airport extremes, and I don't know if I should be thinking of upgrading my router in this process.

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for any input you give.
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Apple showed off the HomePod yesterday and I know it's early to compare these things but there are a few key points that we can look at in comparison to the other vendors.  I would like to do this without bashing X vs. Y as I think Apple entering this market is key. Bring your facts.
      They are obviously playing to their strengths first. Music.  They announced that they have 27 million Apple Music subscribers.  That is a very large number and they are also entering the market in typical Apple style.  Make a good product (as in sound) and compete where they feel they are stronger. Looking at you Sonos.  The Apple Home Pod will debut at the end of the year for $350.
      It will also have Siri and touch controls on the top of it.  I know, siri is a huge "hit and miss" product.  I don't feel it performs as well as Google or Echo but it is improving.  It also does home kit integration like turning on lights, etc.  Basic stuff.
      Where I think it will shine is when you couple it with another unit in the same room.  They are supposed to recognize each other and balance the sound in the room. Equally impressive is multiple rooms.  You can now sync audio on multiple units, in multiple rooms.  Amazon Echo is now officially behind as Google Home will do this as well.
      The size caught me off guard.  It looks monstrous in photos but it's actually only 6.8" tall and 5.6" wide. 
      Earlier I said lets play fair but here is where I give you my opinions on the market and it's not favorable for all.
      Apple - Mostly discussed already but they will enter the market and the sheeples will drop their Echos in mass and go to Apple.  They will complain that it doesn't have "feature x" or feature y" but then go get a second one for another room and be happy in doing so.  Prepare for a gluttony of used Echo tubes on the market come December.
      Sonos - There will be huge debates on sound. Right? If you have invested all that money in Sonos you are probably going to defend that stance! These debates will rage. Sonos can win this one but I'm curious if they take new paths or just try to be the best speaker system and continue to partner with all the voice operated devices. That's a strong position. Output great sound and talk to siri, echo, AND google.
      Google Home - Is Google going to stay in this game? Can they overcome the "we are creepy with your data" stigma?  I'm pretty sure if I didn't already have a boat load of Echo's I would be a Google Home customer especially with calling and multiroom audio.  Everybody will have these features by end of year though.  They better!
      Amazon - First in Wins?  Echo Show better sound real good Amazon!  In one of my recent #RESET podcasts I predicted that the sound would be amazing or at least 10x better than "Echo in a tube."  It has to be since they designed the base the way they did.  The screen is a differentiator.  I think it is going to be a big deal.  I have one on order and we will find out on Jun 28th.
      Microsoft - Hey Cortana.  Best name in the business in my opinion but I'm a huge Halo fan.  I do fear that missing mobile has once again reared its ugly head in Redmond.  I don't know if this tube can catch up or better yet, even be relevant in this market. It's so freaking behind and their Harman Kardon partner literally copied the Echo Tube design.  Microsoft got to the puck, but as they did it's been smashed far beyond their reach but Microsoft fans will continue to tell you they are "skating to the puck!" 
      I do think Microsoft has a few feathers in its cap though. Skype and Surface.  If they can get the Home Hub, Cortana, and Skype, into a design that mimics the Echo Show, and sounds like a Sonos they can compete.  It has to be a device.  You can't expect anyone but us geeks to design kitchen PC's. That is not mass market.  Panos, you need a day one home run in this category.  Surface Home anybody?

• DaMenace
      By DaMenace
      Has anyone attempted to import ITUNES video and Music on a MAC into PLEX running Windows 10?
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Anyone want to hang out on Tuesday during the apple keynote? We can all jump into the /live page and chat. Haters are welcome too!
    • Dave
      By Dave
      I've been getting frustrated with ZumoCast for the iPad and Windows ever since Motorola bought it. They are obviously working on Android more than iOS now which is understood but still a letdown.

With Zumo I could browse my DVD directory and my converted TV shows directory and transfer files to the iPad over Wi-Fi without having to sync with iTunes.

I used to use Air Video but the service fails to start now for some reason. Un-install, reinstall it starts but on reboots it fails.

Boxee for iPad was disappointing. Have not tried Orb yet.

I thought I would throw it out there to you guys and see what you use.

Orb, PolKast, ZumoCast, Air Video. iOS, Android, WebOS, whatever. Stream, transfer, watch live.

Go!