RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD AV 2.5 HDD for OS

Weed099

Has anyone used, or know anything about using the WD AV 2.5 HDDs as WHS OS drives? Since they are meant to run 24/7 I thought they might be better than the standard drives. I am wanting to run two of them in the Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S in RAID 1 to have a mirrored OS setup. I have a HP EX490. I eventually want to build a bigger server, but like most, I'm now waiting to see what Vail turns out to be with the loss of DE. My ultimate build OS drive would be 2x SSDs in the Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S. I don't want to spend the money right now on 2x SSDs for my HP though, so I was thinking about the WD AV drives. When it comes time to do a build SSDs should be cheaper and bigger. Performance is always in the back of my mind because I am starting to use my WHS for streaming. I have Playon installed. I have started to rip my DVDs (only a few right now) and am still playing with the best format and setup.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ikon

• Weed099

I'm considering a similar setup, but using WD Black drives instead of the AV drives.

Anytime I see claims of 'power-efficiency' and 'green' on the drives I tend to shy away from running it as the OS drive, but that's just me..

I'm considering a similar setup, but using WD Black drives instead of the AV drives.

Anytime I see claims of 'power-efficiency' and 'green' on the drives I tend to shy away from running it as the OS drive, but that's just me..

From what I've heard, green drives are black drives that didn't cut it.

Yeah, I wasn't as much concerned about the "green" aspect of them I as was WD claiming they are meant to run 24/7. I was looking at the Black or other 7200 rpm drives, when I found that WD made these new AV drives in 2.5. The main thing I was thinking is that if WD has built them for running 24/7 and claims the hours before they fail is suppose to be greater, that could be a good thing.

I am planning a similar setup for the next Vail version and put then in the icybox for a mirror configuration. Will be buying either the AV or the black, most likely the blacks to ensure the best performance.

Guest no-control

When I read A/V I think marketing term. aren't all drives meant to be run 24/7? In fact isn't spinup from a power cycle harder on a drive?

To me its a BS term that means nothing they are just looking to capitalize on a current hot market trend. Personally 2 2.5" laptop drives, scorpio blue or blacks would be rugged enough to handle duty in a home server.

Thanks, I was curious about the drives because WD is claiming 1 million hours MTTF (MTBF). I can't find any info of the blue or black drives MTBF. If it is a marketing tactic, at least they haven't raised the price. the AV drives are cheaper than the blacks. A 320GB is $50.

Just started listening to your podcast and BYOB. Usually read the MSS forum, but looking to try a build I found this site. Y'all are going to break my bank. I'm going to have to have Newegg boxes sent to a secret location so the wife doesn't see them constantly showing up.

Edited by Weed099

I'm going to have to have Newegg boxes sent to a secret location so the wife doesn't see them constantly showing up.

Can you have them deliver to work? I know many people who do that.

I vaguely recall that the AV drives are further distinguished by their firmware. They are meant to reliably sustain read and write performance over a longer period of time, which is necessary for streaming video. I'm willing to bet that you'll find the peak performance of this drive to be lacking a bit.

I'm also a bit concerned about how the drive handles error recovery. In order to support HD streaming, the drive can't all of a sudden become unavailable while its trying to recover from an error. This would disrupt the stream.

When I read A/V I think marketing term. aren't all drives meant to be run 24/7? In fact isn't spinup from a power cycle harder on a drive?

To me its a BS term that means nothing they are just looking to capitalize on a current hot market trend. Personally 2 2.5" laptop drives, scorpio blue or blacks would be rugged enough to handle duty in a home server.

As far as I have heard on security now from steve gibson(author of spinrite) drives generally "die" at spin up, which is the reason he has given for running his systems 24/7 even desktops. This is however information from 2005, but the mechanics of drives are still the same so I would expect the same errors to occur.

as far as getting av drives vs regular if the price premium is small I would only for the reasons you specify as I do not know what kind of binning they could do.

my thinking is that they would only be able to do binning on the analog to digital parts such as the drive heads, spindle motor and platters, which makes me think that the difference would be minimal as far as reliability goes and that green drives because of their higher capacity would be "higher" quality parts, but performance does limit you to blue or black drives.

another consideration is sound as 7200 rpm drives do tend to vibrate a lot more than 5400 rpm drives and since you have 2 next to each other with minimal anti vibration structures you might get a lot of noise from 2x black drives, but do not have or have heard such a setup I only know my 7200 rpm drives (3,5") in my server vibrate a lot.

Edited by stalni