RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Meltdown and Spectre fix for MS Gen8?

netware5

What about BIOS fix for the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities? I see HP, Dell and other major vendors already released a BIOS updates for their desktop PCs, but never found anything about MS Gen8.

UPDATE:

Gen8 Meltdown & Spectre Fix BIOS is out

Edited by Dave
Update

(Sorry for double-posting, but it looks like I can't edit the previous post.)

Anyway, wanted to point out that the official Meltdown + Spectre website also contains links to security advisories by affected software and hardware vendors:

https://meltdownattack.com/#faq-advisory

Go through it and bookmark any relevant pages because most vendors are probably still working on patches/updates at this point.

Edited by Indrek
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Indrek said:

(Sorry for double-posting, but it looks like I can't edit the previous post.)

Anyway, wanted to point out that the official Meltdown + Spectre website also contains links to security advisories by affected software and hardware vendors:

https://meltdownattack.com/#faq-advisory

Go through it and bookmark any relevant pages because most vendors are probably still working on patches/updates at this point.

Thanks, the HPE says a new ROM will be available soon for Microserver Gen8. So we should wait. It is also interesting when the FreeBSD kernel will be patched, because according to my knowledge the real solution needs both OS fix and ROM fix.

Edited by netware5

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I have also patched bios with spectre fix but entire server is very lazy, performance goes down heavily I have hyper-V with 3 VM, anyone noticed such performance decrease?

Hi guys, I have also patched bios with spectre fix but entire server is very lazy, performance goes down heavily I have hyper-V with 3 VM, anyone noticed such performance decrease?

Never experienced performance decrease. Host OS - Nas4Free (FreeBSD), guest OS - Ubuntu Server 16.04, Hypervisor - Virtualbox.

You may swap the primary ROM with backup one and see if the performance will be restored. I hope you flashed only the primary ROM, but kept backup one with previous version :)