RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Switch Question

awraynor

In my office I have 2 desktops and the WHS connected to my wired network through a 10/100 switch.

Internet is DSL with a business class router/modem provided by AT&T. Would it benefit me to upgrade

to a gigabit switch if the router/modem stay the same?

Someone else posted recently about buying a new switch and it improved their network transfer speeds. If your desktops and WHS are all gigabit capable then you will definitely see improvements in transfers between them using a gigabit switch. A switch can keep track of MAC IDs and route packets between devices without them going back to a router (thus the transfer speeds are from computer to switch to computer). To get the most benefit connect all your wired computers and server to the switch and then connect the switch to one of the ports on the router. Don't use the built in ports on the router to connect anything except the switch.

In my office I have 2 desktops and the WHS connected to my wired network through a 10/100 switch.

Internet is DSL with a business class router/modem provided by AT&T. Would it benefit me to upgrade

to a gigabit switch if the router/modem stay the same?

Without a doubt! All transfers to your internal network with increase 10 fold. Transfers at 100 mbs are painful. Your gain will be so extreme you will not know what happened. It is just short of mandatory. As you can tell, I am a big fan of gigabit and without reservation, you should do it. Just use some Cat 6 or Cat 5e (preferably 6), get yourself an inexpensive D-link 2205/2208 and hook everything to the swithc with only one cable going to your router. Sit back and enjoy your new found speed. To put into perspective, I tried to transfer a movie to a nas device that had a 100mbs connection and it was going to take 40-45 mins. With gigabit, it took less than 5. It is by far the best $100 you will spend.

My house was prewired when I bought it, love that. The router/modem sits in a communications closet near the front entrance. My FROG (finished room over the garage) for people not from the south, houses all the computers. The switch connects to the port in the FROG and everything else into that. Although I believe the port is a home run back to the comms closet, so I guess it would be the same thing as plugging the switch straight into the router? As a segway to another post, how big an effect does your network throughput have on the console coming up on the client?

The 2208 was out of stock at Newegg, but I got it at Amazon for $41, not too bad.

Make sure that you do not have anything else that is hooked in series with your switchs. You should get over 45 mbs while file copying. As for your other question, I believe the answer is very little. That seems to be mostly related to the drives, both speed and how may.

sorry to chime is so late.

Bottom line:

1. you will see little to no difference in internet throughput; internet connections are already so slow it's irrelevant.

2. you will see a significant throughput difference in LAN transfers. This is providing, of course, that the pre-wiring of the house is up to snuff. I didn't see any mention of what grade of cabling was used to prewire your house. If it's CAT 5e or better you should be good to go. If it's CAT 5 you may still be OK, but it's not certain. If it's CAT 3 you most likely will run into reliability issues.

3. you won't see any significant improvment in WHS Console launch times.

Edited by ikon

• 2 weeks later...

I finally traded out for the D-Link gigabit switch. It may be an anomaly

on my behalf, but I did see a significant difference in console launch times.

I am only running my SFF WHS now, it has always outperformed my 495, but it

is even faster now, noticeably so. Sold off my 495 so can't tell if that is

better with the different switch.

I finally traded out for the D-Link gigabit switch. It may be an anomaly

on my behalf, but I did see a significant difference in console launch times.

I am only running my SFF WHS now, it has always outperformed my 495, but it

is even faster now, noticeably so. Sold off my 495 so can't tell if that is

better with the different switch.

Great news. It is certainly possible if your server was being help back from a slow connection.