RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Acer or Home Build

senji323

Do you think it would be cost effective to build a home sever rather than buying the Acer version? I am looking at hosting our movie collection for play back and of course all the family pictures, so my thoughts are that the home build might be able to have more room inside for more drives?

You pay more money for a ready built system but the good point is that it's ready to go. Saving you time and effort. If you have a PC lying around that you can use as a home server then that helps. If you plan on doing a lot of video conversion you need a beefier build. If you plan on leaving this box on 24/7 then an Acer is low power but I think you will be disappointed with the streaming. You can try downloading the 30 day evaluation of WHS and put it on a spare rig and see how hosting files go and keep an eye on transfer speeds and stuttering.

It's a lot of pro & cons to consider.

John (homeservershow).

The first time around I repurposed an old computer and that's exactly what I got. I am quite happy with the HP EX495 that I bought this time. If you want to stream, do video conversion, etc. you may be happier with a homebuild with better components than the Acer?

Well if you just want a storage and backup server both the acer and home build is great. The acer just works and is esay to set up. A home build requires a bit more work but is also more flexible where you have a good posibility to make it so it sutes your needs. Expence wise you can both build cheaper and more expencive home builds. Then the Acer. So it is really what you want. If you don't mind the work of putting it togher your self and you perhaps have some of the parts laying around anyway. I would say go for a home build since that can be cheaper or better when you allready have some of the parts. If you find it to be a lot of work of putting it togeter and posible fittleing with getting everything to work, then get the Acer it works fine and has expandable storage. Hope that helps you.

I voted for store bought over frankenbuild, but I was looking for exactly what the EX495 was offering, as far as power, efficiency, expandability, physical size, and low-noise was concerned. My first WHS was a frankenbuild and it worked well, but it was mighty noisy. It also took up 4 times as much physical space as my EX495.

Building your own would be better because with ready made one, you only get an option to install so many drives, internal, where are if you build your own you can pretty much put however much sizes drives etc in.