RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

XPEnology bare metal install Step-by-Step video

itGeeks

Sorry for the late response, Just wondering why JBOD? JBOD does not offer you "any" disk protection like other RAID levels, If one disk fails you lose the entire disk-set and your data is gone. I would highly recommend you use SHR1 or  RAID5 with 3 or more disk this way if one disk craps out you don't lose the entire RAID set, You would just replace the faulty disk rebuild the RAID and your back to normal.

If you don't know much about RAID and or you don't want to manage it and or you wan't to be able to mix drive sizes with easy expatiation then Synology SHR is your friend. If you want the instruction on how to enable it just let me know.

Ikon-TNG

Unnecessary. There are 4 to 5 backups of everything, updated daily.

itGeeks

Gotcha, But its not only about data loss its about the time consuming process of having to reinstall and reconfigure the OS, Applications and so on. In my humble opinion there is little to no reason someone should not be running a RAID level that offers disk protection when you have more then one disk installed. Just my 2 cents. Glad to see you have multiple backups...

ImTheTypeOfGuy
Woah, I thought Ikon was back for a moment.

itGeeks

Its all good, I did not take it the wrong way at all.:)

Ikon-TNG
15 hours ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:
19 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Woah, I thought Ikon was back for a moment.

In a way, he is. I'm using the backup system he set up. Hey, if it ain't broke.... :)

Ikon-TNG
22 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Gotcha, But its not only about data loss its about the time consuming process of having to reinstall and reconfigure the OS, Applications and so on. In my humble opinion there is little to no reason someone should not be running a RAID level that offers disk protection when you have more then one disk installed. Just my 2 cents. Glad to see you have multiple backups...

That's where the clone of the system disk comes in.

Actually, it's interesting you mention more than 1 disk. I have removed 3 or the 4 drives. I looking at using this box only for serving up photos. A 2TB is way more than enough for that.

///adsl///

Hi from Estonia/Finland :) and sorry for my bad english! 

Hope you can help me ;)

i had a syno 216se with 2x1TB red hhd-s in mirror. They are now full because of my new gopro 5 :( and its time to next level. 

I have read about the freenas but it seems to me littlebit crazy to set it up and so i found my way to xpenology. 

I have bought 2x4TB new red hdd-s and now im looking for hardware.

what do you think about this f.ex. 

1. Xeon E-3 1220v3  

2. Supermicro X10SLL-F  

3. 12GB RAM ECC(8+2+2) Kingston 2GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24, Kingston 2GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24, Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28

(all used parts) for the price 350EUR= 412 USD

Then some 80gold plus PSU (dont know yet how many W)

then a UPS 

I think it can handle at least 1 plex 4k transcoding or 2x1080p tanscodings