RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

XPEnology bare metal install Step-by-Step video

itGeeks

I recently setup my 1st XPEnology box following this great video by Morten over at My PlayHouse. He makes an otherwise semi complicated task pretty easy.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

What hardware did you install it on. I have never had a Synology box due to their very crappy (ie slow as molasses) hardware. If I can put it on an i7 and then use it as a NAS and maybe a Plex server I may have to investigate this further because my WHS V1 is getting old.

• Like 1

itGeeks

I am running this on a Supermicro X10SLL-F motherboard with a Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 CPU with 16 GIG of RAM, Runs like a champ. The only thing I can caution you on is don't allow DSM to auto update itself, Minor updates and security updates have been fine but for major OS updates you need a new loader from XPEnology. That's the only downfall going this rout.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So is xpenology.me the main site for development now? I saw a .com and .org but those don't appear to be updated anymore.

itGeeks
Posted (edited)

Follow this link for the site and you will want to download jun's loaders found here, That's not the month of Jun that's the developer. The current loader is v102b foe Synology DSM 6.X.X found here

Edited by itGeeks

namvan

Hi @ImTheTypeOfGuy I think you meant Synology hardward specs are low? I am using one of a low-end NAS and it is working as fast as the normal servers for file sharing. Media Streaming is also fine. I think the reasons behind Synology low specs are around power consumption for a 24/7 NAS.

Also I have put DSM to an i7 box down the same path as @itGeeks did and could see most of the time CPU percentage is at 1% or so. This meant that DSM does not actually need a lot of CPU power.

tezray

I use it on ESXi I feel it was a waste just to use the server as an xpenology nas you can have so much more flexibility

ImTheTypeOfGuy
14 hours ago, namvan said:

Hi @ImTheTypeOfGuy I think you meant Synology hardward specs are low? I am using one of a low-end NAS and it is working as fast as the normal servers for file sharing. Media Streaming is also fine. I think the reasons behind Synology low specs are around power consumption for a 24/7 NAS.

Also I have put DSM to an i7 box down the same path as @itGeeks did and could see most of the time CPU percentage is at 1% or so. This meant that DSM does not actually need a lot of CPU power.

I am very surprised to hear the resource use is so low. I would not have expected that. With that info I guess the main issue then becomes the price.

4 hours ago, tezray said:

I use it on ESXi I feel it was a waste just to use the server as an xpenology nas you can have so much more flexibility

I thought about setting it up as a VM but decided to dedicate a box to it. I could change course though.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So when it comes time to upgrade your DSM to the latest version, will you lose the data you have on it or is DSM able to read the data from the old system? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to decide if I want to by a low powered sinology, build my own with xpenology, or buy

Image Unavailable

Image not available for
Color:
  • NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN428 8 Bay Diskless High Performance NAS, 80TB Capacity Network Attached Storage, Intel 2.1GHz Quad Core Processor, 4GB RAM, RN42800-100NES
  •  
  •  
  •  

Roll over image to zoom in

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN428 8 Bay Diskless High Performance NAS
Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

itGeeks

I can only talk about Synology/XPEnology, It will retain the data with all updates. That said there is no excuse for backups of your data as in 3-2-1 backups Things can happen with any OS and if your data is not replaceable protect it with backups. I have been a Synology user since 2013 and I can say I have never lost data with any update including using there beta software, Thankfully....

I want you to understand something, When you use XPEnology your still using DSM from Synology. XPEnology only creates the boot loader so we can install Synology DSM on our own hardware.

Edited by itGeeks