RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rhbkweb

N40L - Update for Meltdown and Spectre Security Vulnerability

rhbkweb

Hi all,

As you may all know, in the last days where discovered 2 big security flaws on CPUs named Meltdown and Spectre (https://spectreattack.com/)

I have a HP Microserver N40L and after search the HP support site I did not find any information about how and if HP will release any patch or update to the N40L in order to fix this security issues.

Does anyone has any news or information about how HP is handling this?

Edit: Just found the HP page about this at: http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/securityalerts/SCAM/Side_Channel_Analysis_Method.html and I don't see any mention to HP microserver N40L

Thanks

Edited by rhbkweb

rtrt

Great question - came here to find out if I'm likely to experience any W10 update issues on my micro server.

Be great if you post anything else you find

JackoUK

I have applied the Windows 10 cumulative update to N40, N54 and GEN8 microservers without issue ...

... taking the OS to build level 16299.192 ...

... seems like this could cause a double-digit reduction in performance from Microsoft reports.

rhbkweb
6 hours ago, JackoUK said:

I have applied the Windows 10 cumulative update to N40, N54 and GEN8 microservers without issue ...

... taking the OS to build level 16299.192 ...

... seems like this could cause a double-digit reduction in performance from Microsoft reports.

Im not using my N40L with Windows 10. On your case with Windows 10, the windows update is just one part of the solution. The only true way to fix the issue is with a hardware/firmware update from HP.

I found one more link about this and still no mention to the N40L:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05869091

And I also open a post of the official HP enterprise forum. Until now no response:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/N40L-Update-for-Meltdown-and-Spectre-Security-Vulnerability/td-p/6993166

Anyone else know more?

Edited by rhbkweb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• AllanHP
      By AllanHP
      Hello guys, i have a HP ProLiant ml350p g8 I had installed one gpu card rx580 strix and I had used one gpu frequency  management call asus gpu tweakll, when I change gaming mode to silence mode my computer restart and I saw one red light on the motherboard, I fix the problem I had installed one old version of the asus tweakll, now the computer works well, but the red light still on, I used the software OCCT I checked psu memory gpu voltages run many testes and pass in all tests, I try to find in the manual what this red light is but I can't find, thanks for the help.

• Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi 
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.

Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(

• Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.

New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TonyTheTechie
      By TonyTheTechie
      I need to update the firmware on a HP Proliant Microserver Remote Access Card installed in my N40L.

Can someone please explain what I need to do to create a boot device that will update the firmware on the Remote Access Card?

Thanks

Tony Self