RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ikon-TNG

best way to remote print

mattb75

Hi

Sorry those instructions didn’t work for you. I’d not used those specific ones myself but have used OpenVPN without issue before so looked right.

When I get a moment I’ll review the instructions and remove the link if I can still edit the post.

As you mentioned security concerns over RDP in your initial post could I make a final suggestion to change the port for the RDP connection from the default 3389 on the ION330?

Common service ports are scanned frequently across the internet and if it hasn’t already been spotted it won’t be long before it is!

You can also assign the Remote Desktop role to a standard user account so you’re not connecting in with a full admin account each time.

Cheers
Matt

Ikon-TNG

After a bunch more reading online, plus a ton of trial and (lots) of error, I actually got Windows VPN to work! I know, amazing, right? :)

The trick to being able to actually see shared things on the VPN server was a little trick I picked up on a different site from http://www.diaryofaninja.com/blog/2012/09/11/setting-up-a-vpn-server-on-windows-7-or-windows-8-ndash-secure-your-internet-use-while-away. It turned out you can't see things on a Windows VPN server unless the network is set to Private. So, I had to do this:

gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy
    Computer Configuration
        Windows Settings
             Security Settings
                 Network List Manager Policies
                      RAS (Dial In) Interface
                            Network Location (tab)
                                Location type
                                    Private

After getting all that working, I took the ION 330 over to my mother's to install. Well, it didn't work. I couldn't RDP into the ION 330 from my Surface Pro at all, the same Surface Pro that had worked just fine at home. Since there wasn't a keyboard, mouse, or monitor at my mother's, I was hooped. So, back home it came.

I set up the ION 330 (with monitor, mouse, and keyboard), plus my Surface Pro, on a network of their own, using a small Netgear switch. When I tried to RDP into the ION 330, it failed, just like at my mother's. OK, good, symptoms are the same. Maybe it can be fixed. After futzing around for a while I finally checked the network on the ION 330. It said it was 'public'. "That's funny", I thought; I'm sure I set it to 'private'. Another search of the Internet and I learned of secpol.msc. I ran it and followed the instructions I found:

secpol.msc

Security Settings

Unidentified Networks

Location Type

Private

After that, it worked great. I hope I haven't reduced security though.

Ikon-TNG
On 1/8/2018 at 12:27 PM, mattb75 said:

Hi

Sorry those instructions didn’t work for you. I’d not used those specific ones myself but have used OpenVPN without issue before so looked right.

When I get a moment I’ll review the instructions and remove the link if I can still edit the post.

As you mentioned security concerns over RDP in your initial post could I make a final suggestion to change the port for the RDP connection from the default 3389 on the ION330?

Common service ports are scanned frequently across the internet and if it hasn’t already been spotted it won’t be long before it is!

You can also assign the Remote Desktop role to a standard user account so you’re not connecting in with a full admin account each time.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for this. I was already planning to use a non-standard port. It's a 'trick' my father taught me. He said I don't need to change the default port on a server or computer: I can use my router/gateway to accept a non-standard port and reroute it to the default port on the destination computer. For example, start up a Remote Desktop session on a client computer, using port 24567, and have my router send it to the Remote Desktop host on port 3389. It works great.

I will sure look into using a standard account. After, pretty much all I'm doing is printing.

• Like 1

Ikon-TNG

More info on RDP. Today, I found a post that said most issues like what I'm having with RDP are due to Default Gateway problems. I don't understand it really, but apparently Microsoft evaluates Private vs Public network status based on whether it can communicate with the specified Default Gateway; at least according to the post I found.

On my little 2-computer network, I tried setting the gateway to the address of the ION 330, and then the Surface Pro, and then on both of them. None of that worked (and probably doesn't make sense to anyone with good network knowledge). Finally, I added an old D-Link DIR-615 router to the little network. I set it to 192.168.0.1, then changed the ION 330 and Surface Pro's gateways to match. Almost immediately, they popped up prompts that asked me to choose whether I wanted the "newly discovered" network to be Public or Private. Eureka!

Yesterday, I changed a setting that set all unidentified networks to Private. I decided to undo that change. Everything still worked. Hopefully, now that everything has the same IP addresses as they would at my mother's, it will still work.

So, Default Gateway has more importance than I realised. Although, from the post I read, it appears people with extensive network knowledge are mad at Microsoft for doing things this way. They stated that there must have been a "dumbhead" in the MIcrosoft Network Architecture department, arguing that there is nothing in the Ethernet standards that requires a Default Gateway, except in specific situations. Apparently they are in situations where they shouldn't need a gateway, but Windows continually says their networks are unidentified, so they can't be set to Private. I'm not in a position to judge their abilities/skills, but they sure seemed to know what they're talking about.

Ikon-TNG

Yesterday, I found another use for

gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy
    Computer Configuration
        Windows Settings
             Security Settings
                      RAS (Dial In) Interface
                            Network Location (tab)
                                Location type
                                    Private

For a long time, I've had to deal with my computers booting up and, occasionally, complaining that they're not connected to a network; would I like to turn Network Discovery on? Finally, yesterday, I took some time to research it. Turns out, using the above gpedit setting is supposed to prevent this message from coming up any more. Yay! :D