RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Folder Permissions

awraynor

I am trying to access some of the shares folder from the desktop of a connected PC.

The connector software is bound to the MSS, yet when I try to open some of the shares

it tells me I don't have permission. It is the same whether I try it from the shortcut

on the client desktop, using explorer over the network, or the shares folder shortcut

on the MSS desktop through RDP. Any ideas? Yet some of the folders do allow access.

My initial thoughts.

1. did this work before and suddenly has stopped working?

2. Does the username on the client PC match the user name in the server for the shares you are trying to access

3. When you RDP into the server, are you doing this as an Administrator?

4. Could you be more specific and which folders are allowing access and which don't. Are the permissions set differently on the folders allowing access (like they are available to everyone).

1. I went into the client and made sure the username matched the username in the console, it didn't before.

2. Running RDP as admin helped me access the folders on the WHS.

3. I can access music for example, but I can't access the users shares and most others.

In short, I am trying to backup my shares as I prep my 495 for sale. I have them backing up to an external drive,

however I am not entirely sure how to access them once I build my new server without fear of having to format the

drive once it is connected to the new server.

In this case I would use the guest account - it is not password protected and you can enable easy access to all shares from all of your network. Make shure the "guest" is enabled in each of the shared folder. Go to shared folders and mark read/write access for "guest" in properties.

I am trying to access some of the shares folder from the desktop of a connected PC. The connector software is bound to the MSS, yet when I try to open some of the shares it tells me I don't have permission. It is the same whether I try it from the shortcut on the client desktop, using explorer over the network, or the shares folder shortcut on the MSS desktop through RDP. Any ideas? Yet some of the folders do allow access.

Locked out even when attempting access from the server desktop? My first thought is to check the permissions of any one of those problem folders. RDP in and open "Shared Folders on Server" from your server desktop, right-click on one of the problem folders, click Properties, and click the Security tab. Looking at my MSS, the Administrators (SERVERNAME\Administrators) group has full permissions with the exception of the last permission, Special Permissions, which is grayed out. If you need to, you can also assign ownership by jumping into advanced properties.

*Disclaimer: Check around or post back here before you do anything that you're unsure of. I've taken ownership of folders in the past, but I don't know if there isn't a specific way to go about this for WHS. I'm sure someone in these forums could be more precise about this procedure.

I worked with allowing full access to all users, but no luck. Doesn't really

matter now as that 495 is on it's way to a new home in Nebraska. I did back

up the shares and backups to an external drive, now just need to figure out

how to restore them to my new WHS when I build it. I have about half the parts

for a new HTPC, but guess I will put them into a new server first as they seem

to be recommended for both scenarios. Unless my HP x64 desktop can be repurposed

with an external cage for a few drives?

Once you copy the files into the folders on the new server, permissions will be inherited and all should be okay. If you want to check the owner of the files/folders, go to the Advanced Button on the Security Tab and there will be an "Owner Tab" there. From there you can see who the actual owner is. You will probably see a broken SID since the user account on the server may or may not not exist on the client