RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gardian

As of Dec. 2017 HP still pushing out all 3 updates!!

gardian

Just an FYI, I reloaded a spare x-510 a couple of weekends ago as I had a feeling that HP and Microsoft will soon stop pushing updates for WHS v1.

So I can report that HP is still pushing all 3 updates, but Microsoft has cut way back on it's updates.

Back in Oct.2017  I reloaded this same server and Microsoft had about 150-200 MS updates, as of Dec.2017 I got about 20-25.

Lastly for those that intend on running WHS v1 "forever" as I do, I found where you can grab a copy of all 3 HP updates that you can copy and put away for that dreadful day when HP stops.

Here is how:

If you have a running server now you can remote in and access all 3 updates in these folders:

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates

Look in the Applied folder and you should find all 3. Grab a copy and stow them away for down the road.

As for Microsoft updates, well we all know they do or don't do whatever they want so I don't really care what they do.

To bad we don't have a way to bundle up all the needed updates from MS to keep for later, but at least this should help with the HP updates.

Good Luck all, Happy New year and WHS v1 still Rules!!!!!

Drashna Jaelre
On 1/6/2018 at 8:39 AM, gardian said:

but Microsoft has cut way back on it's updates.

Microsoft stopped updates for the core OS (Server 2003) years ago.  It's no longer supported at all. 

On 1/6/2018 at 8:39 AM, gardian said:

To bad we don't have a way to bundle up all the needed updates from MS to keep for later, but at least this should help with the HP updates.

The OS is 25 years old, it's incredible insecure, and that was before Microsoft putting out updates.   It's dead.    And you shouldn't run WHSv1's remote access, unless you want your server hacked. 

And there is no need to keep the updates,  they'll still be on Microsoft/Windows Update for a long time.  
Or worst case, grab WSUS Offline, or set up WSUS on a local server.